Fat Flakes

IMG_0207

Fat Snowflakes

Rather difficult to show, but today, fluffy snowflakes fell all morning, some were quite large, almost 1/4″ in diameter. Later, when the clouds parted, they were extra sparkly in the sunshine. I’m sure the photos don’t do them justice, but I had to share them.

IMG_0217

Acer leaf in snow

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

125 Responses to Fat Flakes

1. Laurie Graves says:

Enchanting!

2. arlingwoman says:

Beautiful! We’re expecting ‘wintry mix’ tonight and tomorrow morning! I’d rather have fluffy flakes!!!

3. dorannrule says:

A magical apparition. Good show Eliza!

4. These are beautiful, thank you!

5. Enjoy the magical snow and thanks for sharing.

6. There are times I feel I could be described as a fat flake, I like yours better! The first photo looks like underwater. Lovely.

7. Rebecca says:

The snowflakes look so large and shining in your first photo. Gorgeous πŸ™‚

8. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

Beautiful! Happy for you…and I have to say a little jealous. πŸ™‚

9. I like crystal effect created by the sun and snow. Lovely.

10. Love how you caught the texture of the snow.

Snow is in the offing here, in a couple of days … unfortunately I think it’ll be the sloppy wet stuff, but there may be a few fluffy flakes.
    When I lived in Australia I never understood the concepts of ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ snow. Having lived here in Canada for nearly 14 years now, I know better! πŸ˜€

12. pattyanneart says:

Wow, so beautiful!! β„οΈπŸ˜€

13. Pingback: Fat Flakes – The Militant Negroβ„’

14. Fat-tastic! Eliza ❄️❄️❄️

15. cindy knoke says:

You are so lucky. It has been 80+ degrees F, for days now at The Holler. The plants are giving up. Most orchards died long ago, except for ours and others who pay too much to irrigate. The coyotes are thriving. The cattle are crying. The birds are clustering at The Holler for the water and seed. It actually is sort of terrifying watching this happen in a region I have lived all my life.

I think of my SoCal blogging buddies daily as this weather trend continues and the winter season for rain wanes. It would make me nervous, to say the least. There is a lot of pressure with millions of folks living in desert conditions. Hopefully, the mountains will receive enough water to keep the aqueducts flowing this summer.

16. We’ve been getting a bit of snow too, but ours has been thin and sparse! Would love to have fat flakes … at the weekend of course. Your photos make them look super fluffy and sparkly.

17. beautiful! We’ll see what we get in the next day or so … storm’s a coming!

18. Gorgeous! Love the 1st photo – it almost looks foamy.

19. Joanna says:

We had flakes like that yesterday but I didn’t get pictures. They are beautiful!

20. neihtn2012 says:

It looks like shaved ice. Nice shots, Eliza!

21. Christina says:

It’s great you can still enjoy some aspects of the snow, even though you have so much of it!

I had to put on my sunglasses! Always my favorite kind of snow – the large, fat flakes of lake effect. Beautiful Eliza!

23. Exquisite in it’s feathery softness – and i’m wondering how it would feel! Love the glittery effect catching light beams.

24. Christy B says:

Oh these photos are magical!

Lovely – the sunshine on the snow brings it to life. We have a few small flakes falling right now, and finally some hard frosts which I was grateful for as I could get on the frozen garden and clear away some winter debris!

Thank you, Cathy. We’re having a ‘real’ winter this year, cold and snowy, with lots more predicted in the month ahead. Sigh. I won’t see the ground again for a while, I guess.

So sparkely:-)

Ah the sparkly kind is my favorite! Lovely Eliza ❀

Snowflakes, one of the things that look especially good when they’re fat!

29. Amazing photos and I hope we get these gorgeous snowflakes in our upcoming snowstorm!πŸ™‚β„οΈ

30. Beautiful! I love the idea of “fat flakes”

31. bittster says:

Hmmm. All we got was a mess of snow then sleet and then I’m sure freezing rain overnight…

32. Love the glitter and sparkles that come out in your first image! Beautiful nature and well captured by you!

33. Chloris says:

Gorgeous photos. But rather you than me.

34. Sally says:

Great pics. If we had to have snow, this is what I want…..short and sweet and gone in a few days.

Beautiful photos of beautiful flakes. πŸ™‚

36. MK says:

I can kind of see it in the bottom of that leaf. Cool.

37. Joanne says:

Good heavens, I can only imagine snow that thick! I’m lucky to have so many blogging friends in the Northern Hemisphere who share their photos of snow as I don’t have the opportunity to see it here. πŸ™‚

38. NorCal Zen says:

They are very beautiful Eliza! I actually got to see a little bit of snow yesterday. We made a day trip further north to Siskiyou County (CA.) My daughter enjoyed playing in the snow a lot! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and have a blessed week to come.

39. Beautifully dreamy pictures Eliza.

40. MK says:

a small favor to ask Eliza — I clicked LIKE on this post, and others. But when I came back my like seems to have disappeared. Can you see it?
    The same is true for other blogs I visit. I recently installed a new VPN service, and am wondering….

41. Robbie says:

I’m ready for spring but I have to admit the fluffy snow was fun!

42. We’ve had snow on and off all day today … and yes, the snowflakes were quite big. Love your images.

43. pbmgarden says:

Beautiful. Especially like the way you framed that first image.

44. Giant snowflakes are some of the prettiest things in the world – we haven’t had a good, big snowflake snow shower in a while (or maybe we did while we were away, in which case I am OK with having missed them).

45. I love sparkly snow! We get very little here in Oregon, so I’m a bit jealous of your fat flakes. Love the photos!