In A Vase On Monday – Peonies

IMG_3008My peonies (Paeonia lactiflora) have come out in full force this past week and I have been enjoying them inside and out. Every time I walk by, I bury my nose in their soft petals and inhale deeply. Pure heaven!

IMG_3006To keep these lovelies company in this week’s vase, I’ve added racemes of silver speedwell (Veronica spicata var. incana) and common sage (Salvia officinalis).

IMG_3004Lady’s mantle (Alchemilla mollis) has also begun to bloom. I love that it has such a long season and I use it a lot as a filler flower. Its chartreuse blossoms go well with just about any flower combination.

IMG_3002The vase is a frosted pink glass one that I use quite a bit and has become a favorite of mine to use with pink and white arrangements.

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In the Garden, who hosts a weekly meme to showcase what is blooming in our gardens. Wander over to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging this week.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – Peonies

1. Your arrangement looks wonderful with the vase Eliza. 🙂

2. cindy knoke says:

My favoite flowers. Just lovely Eliza~

3. Christina says:

Beautiful arrangement of the opulence of the peonies combined with the simplicity of the other flowers. I must try to find plants or seed of the A. molis so useful and always pretty.

4. Ann @Ann Edwards Photography says:

your peonies are fabulous! I think the lace tablemat and in the background adds a perfect romantic element – how clever!

Beautiful as always. Love the colour combinations:)

6. Peony season is a wonderful time of year. Beautiful arrangement with a tremendous fragrance bonus. 🙂

7. Aishwarya says:

Oh how lovely the flowers look 🙂 and you’ve got such amazing sense of colours!!!

8. seedbud says:

The scent IS pure heaven. A friend gave me a bunch from her garden and they waited in the car while we took a walk in the woods. When I opened the car door the perfume was so potent. I rode home inside the scent of paradise. What gorgeous arrangements you’ve made. To me, nothing is more beautiful than flowers picked from the garden. Thanks for the beauty on this grey, in many ways, Monday.

Thank you, Catherine, glad you found it cheering. Driving in your car with those peonies must have been an ethereal experience!
      Thank you for your visit and comment. 🙂

9. Dymoon says:

ditto, echo all of the above.. I dared once to bring peonies in, the ants soon had me putting them on the back veranda.. what do you do lady to keep the ants away

I really have no problem with ants. I gently brush or shake the blooms upside down after I cut them and most critters are happy to abandon ship. Happily, I notice quite a few ladybug larva on them, too. These I gently return to forage further. 🙂

It’s that time of year when my peony envy rears its ugly head! I really must add at least one peony to my garden! Wonderful, soft, delicious arrangement Eliza.

11. spanishwoods says:

Just so very beautiful.

12. Laurie Graves says:

Looks like a Dutch still life. So lovely!

Mmm, lovely! (That peony scent is wafting around my home too, but the season was far too short this year). A beautiful arrangement again Eliza!

14. Peter/Outlaw says:

Beautiful arrangement! Peonies are such special flowers.

15. I absolutely love the frosted glass vase and the peonies you put in it….my peonies are delayed due to our cold snap of late now going on about 10 days….but I hope to fill a vase full of peonies soon!

16. I’ve been waiting for the peonies! I am imagining their smell from here.

17. Val Boyko says:

Beautiful peonies in such a Spring like arrangement. I like the smoked glass vase!

Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a garden with peonies!

19. Just perfect, your arrangement looks like an Old Masters oil painting in a museum in Europe.

20. Anca Tîrcă says:

I would call this the perfect combination!

Another gorgeous arrangement. It’s lovely to see peonies again. Ours are finished for the season.

More alchemilla – lovely! Gorgeous peonies too, and the touch of blue was inspired as it just ‘lifts’ the whiteness of the peonies

23. dianaed2013 says:

How lovely and a beautiful arrangement

24. Tiny says:

They are all gorgeous!

25. Wow! Absolutely stunning.

26. This arrangement was so full, Eliza, but it was really balanced. I like how you do that.

I do love peonies! So lovely.

28. Oh, so pretty Eliza. I do love alchemilla, such a simple plant with those soft greens and yellows… I stole a tiny seedling from somewhere last year and installed it in the front garden, and this year it has grown tremendously, but it is nonetheless relatively small and not flowering yet so I am enjoying it vicariously in vases like yours! It, and the salvia, really set off those peonies.

You are celebrating peonies too Eliza! How lovely they are. I think the alchemilla looks just perfect with it (but then it does with anything doesn’t it? Never steals the show. Lovely peonies, wish I could drown in them!

30. G.F. says:

Such satisfying arrangement. I like the way the eye can travel round the four major stars of the show.

31. How absolutely gorgeous! I put some purple flowering mint clippings in a vase over the weekend and thought of you!

32. Anna says:

I’ve been very remiss never having grown peonies Eliza but I’m enjoying seeing them featured in other folk’s vases. Yours are absolute stunners. I will have to remedy the situation and indulge in some plant retail therapy before too long.

Fall is an ideal time to plant the bare roots, so you have plenty of time to shop around. Although last year I noticed that a nursery had pots of them at half price at the end of June, just to move them out. That was a great deal!

33. Brenda says:

Every week your arrangements seem to get more gorgeous. I love the table runner too.

34. MK says:

Another “oh, wow” arrangement. Stunning.

35. stevetanham says:

Absolutely beautiful photographs – the clarity is amazing!