Snow Pyramids

IMG_4281

image copyright Eliza Waters 2015

Like a mountain range of snowy pyramids, these slabs of river ice, softened by deep snow, create long, blue shadows in the late afternoon light.

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Snow Pyramids

1. A beautiful escape Eliza…:)

2. livblumer says:

I expect to see Lawrence of Arabia ride down one of those sand dunes with his headdress trailing behind him.

3. cindy knoke says:

remarkably beautiful!

4. Heather says:

The photo is so gentle. But I know that the ice under is probably treacherous!

5. I see this and I just want to go snowshoeing!!

6. Yes, I’m still thinking July for the snow melt. Gorgeous!!

7. djrakiey says:

Shadow & Light… superb composition !

Wow – this is stunning!

9. mk says:

That is an incredibly beautiful and evocative image, Eliza. It kind of stopped me in my tracks. Then, as I kept looking, I saw what you alluded to in your title. I saw the great mounds of ancient religions covering burial sites, and hidden dolmans. A prize winning photo if you ask me.

10. An image that grabbed my attention. My first thought was do you need a shovel? Then, how mesmerising. Then, is your house out there somewhere? Isn’t it the first day of spring where you live? Is that much snow normal? And finally, how beautiful. Thanks Eliza!

Thanks, Deb, for your comments. This was taken out behind our house next to the river. I did a post (not sure if you saw it) where we had a warm spell with rain that broke up the ice into big slabs and piled them up onto the banks. Then later, more snowstorms covered them. So no, we don’t have to shovel, just enjoy the scenery. This is normal snow for us. It is the cold that has been extreme this year. I think we broke freezing two days all Feb. when usually every sunny day is at least above. We celebrate the equinox on the 21st as the first day of spring, but we often have snow until mid-April. Winter is long in New England!

11. this is just Quietly Magnificent, Eliza! I am glad to have met YOU on this blog! Your photographs are beautiful and your words comforting!

12. polly3yr says:

Beautiful! With shades of blue that simply can never be exactly duplicated on an artist’s
    palette 🙂

13. Robbie says:

okay-time for snow pyramids to melt! LOL-nice shot:-)

I do wonder when these will melt – this is the coldest winter in a long time, and although it will be warmer tomorrow, the cold returns the following day. The Sun will overcome eventually, once the North Wind finally gives up (just like in the fable). Thanks so much for taking time out to visit my posts, Robbie, especially since I know you are very busy. I appreciate it! 🙂

14. So much snow!! Damn i’m jealous, i can only create something like this if i use pillows instead of snow! Can you mail some of it to Madeira? 😀 Great photo, that snow is spotless!

Ha, you can have all the snow you want for free! I am jealous of your living in Madeira with the nice climate and that beautiful landscape. Thanks for following, you’ll be seeing all four seasons here in New England. Weather is a big topic around here! 😉

• Load it all in the An-225 Mriya airplane and send it this way! We would really appreciate it haha! 😀 or maybe we could just trade places for a week, that would be easier!
        I thought i was following you already, it was kind of embarrassing when i found out i wasn’t! 😮
        And i’m looking forward to it! 😀

Vacations definitely sound easier! No worries. Thanks! 🙂

I love snow shadows and feel that I should paint them each time – the colors of snow would be beautiful in watercolor but it is just not my passion – when I put the brush to the paper it wants to paint something else. I fear for our house! Many reports of roof damage and frost heave where I live. Hopefully the water will run again through to the main. Hopefully by shutting the house down, the snow will melt without incident. I am certain every single one of my plants are dead hearing the frost line has been breached ): … not sure I want to return home ): These snow pyramids are beautiful!

Thank you, Kathy. I hope your plants made it but you knew it was a long shot (I remember the post!) and it has been a VERY cold winter. I hope your house is okay as well. No one checking it? If your plants perished, think of all the fun you’ll have buying replacements. 😉

16. mfryan says:

Wow, really gorgeous.

They’re beautiful (and beautifully captured by you). They remind me of dunes.

18. So beautiful! Perfect caption for a perfect photo!

Thank you! Although the snow is melting, there is still a lot of it left. How about you?

• We had one snowfall last week…about three inches. Now it is has all disappeared. However, Wisconsin received less rainfall than normal for March. I read somewhere that our gentle Mother Earth is facing a 40% drop in water during the next 15 years. That concerns me greatly—and, unfortunately, does not seem to be in the minds of others. I am happy to see SPRING arriving…my daffodils are beginning to peak out! HAPPY SPRING and Easter to you, Eliza!

Thanks and Happy Spring/Easter to you as well!