Wordless Wednesday

V of Canada Geese

Image | This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Wordless Wednesday

What a perfect picture – you saw them at the right time!

2. Nice capture! Perfect example of being in the right place at the right time!

3. jenanita01 says:

I would have loved to watch that formation take shape and then change…

4. The birds have been interesting this year. We’ve seen different ones and large groups. I guess they also know 2020 isn’t an average year. Great pic.

5. Joanne says:

Oh wow, you were in the right place at the right time to capture this synchronised flying, Eliza. πŸ™‚

6. Alice says:

It’s awesome to see them flying like that. I saw a formation day before yesterday. Recently, Mary Holland posted about the ‘mechanics’ of geese flying in formation.

Oh, I love seeing geese fly over Eliza! They always seem to know when snow is on the way… is it forecast for you?

Canada geese are the only ones we regularly see and they start flying over in Sept. but yes, 1″ snow is predicted for Friday. Luckily, it won’t last as the ground isn’t frozen yet.

8. I’ve yet to see this here, Eliza. Perhaps I missed it. I don’t know. But I LOVE seeing these formations in the sky despite the fact they bring sadness knowing what is coming.

9. I’ll be on the lookout for their arrival here.

10. tippysmom2 says:

Great capture. Most of the ones I see around here are a lot smaller than this one.

11. Heard geese the other day as they fly by my home in the woods. Didn’t see the geese, but even the sound makes me shiver. Good luck, good luck, I always wish them.

12. Nice Eliza! Fun to see them in large formations flying by!

13. oneanna65 says:

I will love to fly away with them…

14. Well caught. I love to see them arrive at Wimpole’s lakes like this, but I haven’t seen any this year yet. Great sound too!

15. Debbie says:

I’ve seen something like this, and the noise they made was amazing! Beautiful capture — I hope I get to see and hear them again soon.

16. maryjane678 says:

Fantastic. You’re doing things in blue again! Blue vase swapped for blue sky.

17. That’s a happy geometric minimalism.

Spectacular! Also something I can’t remember ever seeing here.

Thanks, Kris! Perhaps because they are fresh water geese? Lots of water birds overwinter just east of you in the Salton Sea area. One thing I’ve always wanted to see are the large flocks of snow geese numbering in the thousands in the marshes of the middle south, particularly.

19. Wonderful capture! Always enjoy watching the flight preparations and formations and always smile at the one that is a little out of line.πŸ™‚

“South, Miss Teschmacher!” : ) … 9extra points if you get the reference!)

21. That is a huge single formation! Amazing 😊.

22. Adele Brand says:

Coming or going? I can imagine the noise!

23. Jet Eliot says:

Your photo says so much, Eliza, even without words. A lovely tribute to our migrating friends and the turning of the season.

What a perfect sky! And the alignment of the geese is wonderful. Great timing and capture, Eliza. πŸ™‚

25. Its fascinating to watch birds flying “In formation as that help to save their energy ~ in certain ways” Thank you for sharing the picture with us. Sending Greetings from Aussie Brisbane ❀ ❀ ❀

26. Bela Johnson says:

❀️❀️❀️

27. naturebackin says:

How fantastic – something really epic about such formations of wild geese. Beautifully captured.

28. Isha Garg says:

No one else could have taken this! It’s like they find you ❀️❀️

29. Perfect formation … well, there’s always one! We don’t get as many Canada geese here like Back East, where they are sometimes regarded as pests.

30. Brian Skeys says:

I love to see that it is evocative of autumn.