Harbinger

Red-winged Blackbird

I heard my first red-winged blackbird today. My official harbinger of Spring!

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

96 Responses to Harbinger

1. Julie says:

A favorite of mine. Great photo, Eliza!

2. Treah Pichette says:

I’m jealous!

3. Bettie says:

I too love hearing that first sign of spring! Have already seen some Robins. xo

4. Very exciting. Enjoy this beautiful season ahead. πŸ™‚

5. neihtn2012 says:

Great shot of the Blackbird! They do love to sing.

6. Good shot. It could have been more sharp i guess πŸ™‚

7. MK says:

Hurrah! You should record the sounds of spring for those dark dreary days.

8. Yes, they have just started arriving. One of my favorites of early spring. Later we’ll finally hear our catbirds. πŸ™‚

9. Yay!!!!!!! Love them. Beautiful photo and such good news

I saw the first red, red, robin, just a bob, bob, bobbing along, this morning too. πŸ˜€

11. I detect a lightness of step in the comments. Eliza. Harbinger – isn’t that a great word. May the spring chorus lift your spirits.

..and I hope it is a wonderful spring:)

13. Julie says:

He is a striking bird Eliza, that must of been an uplifting song to hear!

14. adeleulnais says:

He is beautiful and it looks like he is making sure everyone knows Spring is here.

15. I am very much looking forward to spring!

16. Love the bird and the header photo. πŸ™‚

17. How exciting!! What an excellent shot! I’m so excited for spring. I’ve been enjoying watching bluebirds at my feeders and in the woods. The return of our spring birds is so wonderful. Blessings, Sarah

18. Laurie Graves says:

Yay!!! What a wonderful sight.

19. Just lovely. The blackbirds haven’t returned here yet. They make such great subjects!

20. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

Ours stayed all year this year. Probably because we put out seed. It has been interesting watching the babies turn colors and also to see the glorious epaulets fade to a light color with their new feathers before winter and slowly back to glorious red again. There is a cacophony of their singing down by the pond. Almost deafening! Beautiful shot, Eliza. You really captured it mid song!

The red winged black birds are what I always count on! They are here in flocks and I love to hear them. If they are in your area, Spring must be happening! Now I really want to high tail it back to my garden! I have to fill the feeders, put out water, put up the hummingbird feeders … can’t wait!

They are the earliest I’ve ever seen, I guess due to the mild winter. The rest of the snow in the shadows is sure to melt this week with temps in the 50-60s. Time to head back soon!

22. Heather says:

I saw blooming crocuses! We still have snowpack, but in the sunny spots, the flowers are bringing their seasonal cheer πŸ™‚

23. I saw two sitting on old reeds last week – it absolutely made my day! They are a better sign of spring around here than the robins.

24. Jane Lurie says:

I love these birds. Nice capture, Eliza.

25. dorannrule says:

And he is a handsome fella too!

26. Val Boyko says:

We had a flock swing by at the weekend! Yeah 😎

27. Maria F. says:

Thanks so much for sharing this. I remember seeing my first ones in Florida. When I left I knew I was going to miss them so much! They love the marshes, at least in Florida, that’s where I saw them.

28. So beautiful! Lovely capture! I’m so happy to see so many signs of Spring! ❀ I love your sense of mindfulness!

How gorgeous! Lucky you.

30. So pretty!
    Eliza, just to let you know that I recently started self-hosting my blog, so I am not on wordpress.com anymore, therefore you won’t get my post updates in the Reader. If you would like to continue getting my updates, you will have to manually add my blog URL (http://celebratingsunshine.com/) in your Followed Sites section.

I would love to stay in touch and for you to stop by my blog from time to time!

Ana

31. A beautiful song in the air!

32. Great capture and nice, soft background! These guys are very vocal and you clicked at just the right time!

33. Ann @Ann Edwards Photography says:

lovely seasonal image πŸ™‚

34. BunKaryudo says:

Yay! Spring’s on its way. I saw some daffodils the other day. They cheered me up a great deal.

35. What a character he is! πŸ™‚