First Snow

IMG_2882

We received our first snow of the season overnight, dusting autumn with a sugar coating of winter. Melted where touched by the sun, the snow lingers in the shadows, portending winter,ย a little more than a month away.

IMG_2928 IMG_2908

IMG_2896IMG_2889IMG_3012

This entry was posted in My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to First Snow

1. Treah says:

Really nice pictures! Love the pumpkin! I think you got more snow than we did in Vermont.

2. mk says:

Oh no!!!!! But oh so beautiful!!!! Your first shot is kind of magical looking to me — I especially like how the skirt of the tree has made a perfect open circle beneath it. And I like shot #3 where the depth of field simply suggests the time of year, while the foreground tells me that you’re just approaching the cusp of winter. Nice. And your “dusting autumn…” story is just perfect.

3. Love it, Eliza, you captured something special here. A garden beautiful in winter is a garden beautiful always.

4. LadyPinkRose says:

We had a first snow too, Eliza. Ours is all melted. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love, Amy

5. I love all your pictures, but the last one here is simply breathtaking. ๐Ÿ™‚

Beautiful photos Eliza, such a pretty first snow you had there!

7. Trini says:

Oooooooh!!!! Snow!!!!!!! I want to jump in there!!! I looooove snow so very very much!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, how beautiful! I love snow on autumn colors. I don’t think that’s something I will see here, but we saw it frequently when we lived in northeast Ohio. Your images are lovely. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you, Robin. Do you miss Ohio? The coast is milder by far, esp. in the winter!

• Robin says:

I do miss it, Eliza. I really enjoyed the winters there. I love snow, and we would get plenty of it due to the Lake Erie snow machine. We had about 110 inches of snow our first winter there. We left our cross country skis behind when we moved here. It’s too bad we don’t get more snow on the Eastern Shore. It’s so flat that it would be perfect for cross country skiing. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. We just received our first snow, too. My dog and I LOVE running through it!! Your pictures are so beautiful, by the way. YOu have such an eye for nature…

Thank you so much, Kim. The first snow is easy to appreciateโ€“ it is so beautiful and generally isn’t too heavy. We won’t mention how we feel about it come March! ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. joserasan66 says:

Mmmmmmm, Una Serie Preciosa, Sin Duda Unas Fotografรญas Que Transmiten El Frio De Estos Dรญas… Muy Buenas, Un Saludo.

11. dorannrule says:

Lovely photos! Winter is edging in early and the first snow is so beautiful. We haven’t had any yet but it got down to 17 degrees last night!

12. Geraldine says:

how beautiful! snow is magic. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Robbie says:

lovely photos:-) We had our first snow yesterday…winter is here:-) I sure hope it is not as cold as last year!

14. Joanne says:

It doesn’t snow where I live, so I love seeing cold snow photos during our hot summer days. Thank you, Eliza. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Beautiful shots. As we head into a very hot summer, this is just I needed to look at.
    Karen

Glad to hear that, Karen. My Australian friends help me get through winter with tales of warmth and we northerners provide a sense of coolness to your hottest days. Win/win! ๐Ÿ˜‰

What pretty snow shots! I wish it would snow here too!

17. Heather says:

Gorgeous first-visit photos! I love the pumpkin and third image most ๐Ÿ™‚
    Are you still enjoying a dusting, or have you moved on to more serious winter like us?

The snow melted in the rain, but now it’s well below freezing so the ground is getting hard and lumpy. We will probably see-saw back and forth for a month before winter settles in for good (or ill!).
      Thanks for stopping by and your kind comments, Heather.

18. Geraldine says:

Oh my, how beautiful! I LOVE snow but not the ice that goes with it to walk and drive in. Thanks for this visual treat this morning, it brought a smile to my day. ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Karen says:

This is so lovely, like a winter wonderland.

20. Snow on your pumpkin! And on the Japanese maple!! What gorgeous photos of a simply lovely garden. Snow dresses it all up and makes the starkenss of winter so much more appealing ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad yours wasn’t a deep snow, though. Best wishes, WG

21. Jenna Dee says:

Beautiful photos Eliza. I especially love the Japanese Maple tree. Is the snow early this year. Shouldn’t the leaves fall from the Maple trees before the snow comes? Sorry for my ignorance but I don’t have snow in Melbourne Australia. Love to you from Jenna ๐Ÿ™‚

Jenna, thank you and I understand the confusion. Yes, it was an early ‘dusting’ that melted within a few days. (The leaves have all since fallen off.) We get storms like that until the ground freezes in mid- to late December when the snow stays until March. We don’t always have a white Christmas, but we might this year. Right now we are having a storm and 8″ have already fallen, the power has gone out for a few hours and we have about 7 hours more to go before it lets up! It is wet and sticky, so it is awful to shovel! On the positive front, the temps. are due to rise over the weekend, so hopefully, a lot of it will melt. It’s getting everyone in the Christmas mood, however!