Cemetery Point Park

foggy pine

Foggy pine & heron

The first time I visited Cemetery Point Park in Cedar Key, FL, it was a foggy, cool morning. It looked mysterious in the gloom, with birds coming in and out of the trees and cove.

boardwalk

Boardwalk perspective

The park is essentially a boardwalk that threads its way between the cemetery and the #3 channel. Vegetation is mostly black mangrove, scrub pine and palms. A wide variety of birds forage in the shrubbery and the mudflats during low tide.

The last day I returned was a gorgeous, sunny day and the views were spectacular.

Cedar Key channel

Cedar Key channel #3

As we prepare to receive our first major snowstorm of the year, I’m grateful that I had a week of warmth and sun to get me through the months ahead.

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Cemetery Point Park

1. pastpeter says:

Stay warm, Eliza! We are fortunate in looking at all rain, tho I hope not a skim of ice!

2. Jim R says:

That warm and comforting. Last night we got 6″ of snow with wind. Today is now 20หš and very sunny. Cold tonight! These scenes helped offset the conditions. Thanks.

3. Lovely photos. Stay safe and warm and I hope you get whatever is on the low end of the forecast. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Val Boyko says:

Lovely captures Eliza ๐Ÿ’•

5. A perfect counterpoint to the cold and snow. Lovely shots!

6. cindy knoke says:

Beauteous! I love the wooden walkway shots.

7. The boardwalk looks amazing, Eliza :). So green and leafy.

8. Treah says:

The Channel #3 photo is very reminiscent of Maine. Of course Maine is a bit colder right now! Lucky you to catch a little bit of warmth time!

It does look a bit like Maine, though with a whole set of different plants, but similar long-needled pines.
      That little southern getaway is helping me feel a wee bit warmer as we face down the latest storm. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. rabirius says:

Excellent series. I especially like the heron picture.

10. derrycats says:

Snowing here right now…how many days until Spring??

All 3 are beautiful shots. I hope the snow settles gently on your landscape and provides many new photo opportunities.

12. Very beautiful scenery Eliza. It looks like a wonderful place for a peaceful walk.
    Hope you are surviving the storm. So far we haven’t had any snow, all rain that is now turning to ice. I’d much rather had snow than ice.

13. Wonderful images Eliza! Beautiful shots!

14. David says:

As always this time of year (or any month Oct thru April), I miss summer. We just had our major snowstorm last weekend. Twelve inches of snow on the bird bath pedestal in our backyard. Fortunately we had no issues. Some poor souls did get stranded on I-44 overnight because stuck semis and cars kept the plows from getting through for the longest time. Hope you get through the storm with as little inconvenience as we did.

It looks a beautifully serene place to visit.

16. Isha Garg says:

These pictures tell a story, and create a setting in themselves… What a lovely eye for detail and beauty, you have, Eliza!

Lovely pictures – hope these memories keep you warm for a while! ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Lovely views, hope you’re staying warm!

19. neihtn2012 says:

Keep warm and safe in the coming storm!

20. Alice Pratt says:

That heron, perched up high, has a ‘bird’s-eye’ view! Boardwalks will keep the gators ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ away.

21. LOVE your first image, Eliza, and the way you processed it. Thank you for sharing your vacation with us. We too are getting a snowstorm right now with hubby outside with the snowblower. Stay warm. It’s seriously cold out there!! โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ

22. For some reason, I was so struck by the picture of the tree at the top. Made me think of arterial blood supply of the brain ๐Ÿ™‚

23. I just love the ‘boardwalk perspective’ photo, Eliza! I truly have the urge to want to walk down it. ๐Ÿ˜Š Be safe & stay warm during & after your storm, take care.

Thank you, Donna. We’ve had it allโ€“ 8-10″ snow, sleet and freezing rain. So much fun! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Alice Pratt says:

You’ve had THAT much snow?!๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ˜ฌ It’s 34ยฐ, here (south of Boston), not even 2″ of snow, but lots of rain…which will all freeze. Yucky!

Oh, wow, what a difference a short distance makes! Freezing rain is yucky. Hope you have lots of sand/salt for your walks and driveway. The windchill is kicking in now – extra wood on the fire tonight!

One of my favorite walks in CK! So glad you enjoyed. It is really cool when it’s foggy.

25. A beautiful dream of warmer times.

26. Chloris says:

Gorgeous, what views.

Looks like a beautiful place, Eliza, so nice to see some green. ๐Ÿ™‚

28. I have a painter friend, her favorite plein air spot is your picture. Lovely place. I think the end of that storm is blowing through here today. Hope you have some soup on the stove, bread in the oven and a fire in your wood stove. Stay warm.

I like how winter sunlight really warms the bones. ๐Ÿ˜€

30. Irene says:

Such a beautiful place! That first shot is my favorite of all. The blue heron adds perfection. ๐Ÿ˜Š

31. Beautiful photos and Iโ€™m glad you enjoyed some warm weather to help you survive this brutal cold weather and snow. For a moment, I really thought we were not going to have winter this year.

32. naturebackin says:

What a beautiful place and I hope its warmth and the memories stand you in good stead through the snow and chill. Keep cosy if you can. I hope you are able to have a period of happy hibernation, albeit somewhat enforced by the snow.

My only choice is to stay as upbeat as possible. Right now at mid-day, the temps are still below zero F with a biting wind that is quite unpleasant!

• naturebackin says:

Yes, I should think staying upbeat is important and those temps and biting winds likely cure any cabin fever? I would find such extreme cold temperatures rather frightening. Here, by contrast, it is unpleasantly hot with a succession of days in the high 30s Centigrade (the last three days have been 100+ degrees Fahrenheit) and everything is wilting, including us. We are fortunate (and grateful) that in our region of South Africa we do get some rain and some less hot days are forecast soon. In parts of the Eastern Cape, for example, the municipal dams have been dry for months, boreholes are drying up and water is being trucked in.

Water is becoming increasingly a worrisome problem in so many parts of the world. A precious resource, we need to actively conserve it. Hope you get a break from the heat soon.

• naturebackin says:

Thanks, and I hope you get milder weather soon.

Thanks, rain and 40sF today. Always changing!

33. That looks like it was a lovely walk Eliza. Stay warm.

34. dawnbirdau says:

I missed some of your earlier posts! It would have been awesome to be in warm Florida.

35. Lots of rain.. we broke a record!!!

36. Maria says:

It’s beautiful, I’ve yet to see it!

37. Marsi says:

Such beautiful images of one of my favorite places! Cedar Key offers different experiences in different weather, but each experience is one to treasure.