In A Vase On Monday – 5th Anniversary

Cathy at Rambling In the Garden, host of the weekly meme showcasing arrangements created from our gardens, is celebrating five years of IAVOM. Her requested theme this week is anything NOT in a vase, so I created a wreath. The vine base is made from invasive Asian bittersweet that I’m glad to cut to get rid of, a losing battle at best.Red Oak leaves (Quercus rubra) and dried bracts of Oak-leaved Hydrangea (H. quercifolia), along with fluffy seed heads of Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis) form the body.A few stems of wild Goldenrod (Solidago) seed heads and seedless Coneflower calyxes (Echinacea purpurea) are tucked in, with bright purple berries of Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) completing the wreath.

Click the link to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging for this week’s special anniversary. Thanks to Cathy for tirelessly hosting every week for the past five years!

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – 5th Anniversary

1. What amazing work! I’m quite impressed at the creativity here. 🙂

Those purple berries add life to your already beautiful wreath. You are very talented in this respect.

3. tonytomeo says:

Monday already?! Well, it will be Monday here in a bit more than two hours.
    Red oak that is so popular within the native range is uncommon here. It happens to be an excellent street tree because the roots are complaisant with concrete. It does not get too big in our climate. Beautyberry is something that I have yet to see in a local garden. I am so intrigued by it, that I just might try to grow some at work.

Beautyberry is heat and humidity tolerant, but not sure about drought tolerance. It might be worth experimenting. It’s a great plant.

• tonytomeo says:

There are many plants here that are not drought tolerant. (Many people here are not at all concerned with conserving water.) On this side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, just a few miles from the chaparral climate of the Santa Clara Valley, we can grow plants that are not at all tolerant to drought. Much of what we grow here is the same that grows in the Pacific Northwest.

4. Isha Garg says:

Wowed by this! 😍

5. cindy knoke says:

Oh my gosh!
    Your most amazing yet!
    You have the gift.
    You are a very kind,
    and special person.

6. Vicki says:

What a beautiful arrangement on those vines. Very creative and visually pleasing to my eye.

7. Chloris says:

Wow Eliza, you are an artist. It is beautiful.

So lovely Eliza. A real flavour of autumn.

9. More lovely arrangements

10. Beautiful fall arrangement. I always love when you make lemonade out of lemons because it takes creativity and skill to find a positive use for invasive bittersweet. 🙂

11. Treah says:

Beautiful!

12. Alice Pratt says:

…..delightful….

That beautyberry is stunning! I am so happy to enjoy mine here – now picked over by the birds. Wonderful arrangement Eliza!

14. pbmgarden says:

This is beautiful Eliza. I love the use of the Red Oak leaves.

15. Lovely and a very creative take on Cathy’s challenge. It is going to be a lot of fun to see what everyone does this Monday.

16. eliza, you are so creative!

17. …your wreath is whispering Autumn thoughts…love it, Eliza!

18. sandyjwhite says:

Such lovely creations. You are one artistic lady!

19. I really love this, and the callicarpa against all the neutral tones stands out beautifully. Great job! I think you may have insired me…

20. It’s beautiful Eliza, rustic, autumnal and graceful.

21. Christina says:

The perfect response to Cathy’s challenge Eliza; executed to perfection too!

This is a great response to the challenge. Eliza, and I love the idea of using a thug for the basis of your wreath! The end result is so subtle and indicative of the season. I have recently dug out my callicarpa as it rarely had any berries at all – I believe now that it is better if you have more than one

Thank you, Cathy. A great meme and a good challenge for the anniversary to keep us on our toes. 🙂
      I only have one Callicarpa, but as we are so cold, it dies to the ground every winter. I always figure I’ve lost it, but then it rallies late in the season. Although, it never produces like it does further south.

• Cathy says:

Thanks Eliza – interesting to read about your callicarpa as some US bloggers seem to have it growing prolifically. I shall have to be thinking of another challenge ready for next year!

23. AlisonC says:

Great minds! This is very beautiful and it’s lovely to save the best of the autumn show to enjoy for longer.

24. Nice response to a too vigorous vine! I tried using my wisteria prunings in a similar way (as rings around a hazel obelisk). The muted colours in your wreath are lovely and the burst from the callicarpa berries works perfectly.

It’s a perfect fall wreath, Eliza. I love those Callicarpa berries but the Miscanthus seed heads make it sing.

26. Peter Herpst says:

Well done as always! I love everything about this wreath and especially the pop of purple provided by the Beautyberries!

27. So much to admire! Lovely colours and textures.

So pretty. How creative of you Eliza. I love the use of the fluffy maiden grass. I cut some to bring indoors at the weekend but the seeds were flying everywhere so it had to go out again! 🙂

29. So creative Eliza. I bought a wreath to decorate today so enjoyed seeing yours.

30. Love your wreath. I have trees full of muscadines I could use!

31. AmyRose🌹 says:

Absolutely stunning, Eliza! Now you’ve got me hankering to get shots of my flowers with my macro. I just LOVE this wreath!! To me it is soft and sensual. 🤗

32. Oh Eliza your wreath is stunning incorporating the wabi sabi beauty of fall.

Oh! This is gorgeous Eliza! ❤

34. Stunning creation from your garden/backyard pickings, love the rustic-ness!

Happy Flower-O-Versary! 😀 … a magnificent collection. 🙂

Wow – gorgeous!

37. Sam says:

Gorgeous, Eliza! Love the Calicarpa combined with the more muted colours.

38. Love the wreath and photos and am always amazed at the beauty you create!🙂

39. Jane Lurie says:

Very creative and lovely, Eliza. The Beautyberries are a perfect complement to the neutral colors.

40. Charming and just the right touch for Autumn as the last of the years beauty begins to fade!

41. It is so beautiful your wreath. So perfectly fall festive 🙂

42. So pretty. A lovely take on the theme.

43. These are really Cool Eliza!

44. Maria says: