Newborns

Newborns

Recently unfurled beech leaves with protective hairs. Pubescence helps reduce sunburn and windburn from moisture loss until the leaf can harden off. Eventually the leaf will become smooth to maximize photosynthesis.

My favorite color – I love a forest filled with light green leaves dancing in the breeze!

IMG_9307

American beech (Fagus grandifolia)

Image | This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Newborns

1. Line says:

Oh, these photos are so gorgeous Eliza!! So refreshing! I love green leaves and forests too!!! πŸ™‚

2. Debra says:

I just love the colour of fresh new leaves, too. Very pretty photos.

3. dorannrule says:

Hope in its infancy! Lovely Eliza.

4. Beautiful, and thanks for sharing the information, too. I loved learning about these leaves!

5. mk says:

I love that top photo and your title. And, now I know what beech looks like.

6. Sharon K. says:

I was enamored with glowing beech leaves on yesterday’s hike.

Always learning from you, Eliza!

These are lovely. πŸ™‚

7. Your pictures breath life themselves! Thank you for sharing!

8. Your attention to the details amazes me. Beautiful pictures… You reminded me how much I miss forests!

Thanks so much. Miss forests? Where were you from originally and where are you now? (I am always curious!) I do love the deep quiet one experiences in the woods, not to mention the freshly made oxygen!

• I was born in Romania, close to the mountains. My husband, my son and I moved to Florida nine years ago. I love reading your posts- each of them, because they remind me so well of the place I lived for so many years. Thank you for bringing the forests and everything else I miss close to me… πŸ™‚

Florida is quite different I would think! Glad to bring you a memory of home. πŸ™‚

9. With all your images and writing, you give us the gift of your eyes and heart.

10. Amy Pinkrose says:

This is lovely, Eliza. I just love the green. The green here is so bright this year or is it just a reaction from living through a very brutal colorless winter? I don’t know. Newborns are all around us. I have SO many photos of newborns, I’m thinking of making a post just for them. How exciting this time of year is!!!! (((HUGS))) Amy

11. Robbie says:

I know what you mean about that fresh light green. I love how the light plays on the leaves. Love the texture in the photos:-)

12. Robbie says:

It happened again, for some reason you did not show up in my reader. I have followed your blog, but every so often it just disappears. Hmmmm…I had to “follow” again..strange. That happened with someone else,too:-( I noticed you had not posted, so I checked it out + found you were lost-but not for long!

Thank you – I am honored you noticed my absence from your reader. I wondered about the new follow! I have noticed weird things happening with WP, too, like if someone has an upgraded site, I can’t like or comment unless it is through my reader – rather frustrating. Oh, well, may the bugs get worked out! The whole cyber world seems miraculous to me and I am grateful for those who created and continue to create the blogosphere. πŸ™‚