Silent Sunday

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing on Winterberry

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Silent Sunday

Well captured, Eliza! This is a lovely photograph.

2. Beautiful image! I envy your being able to capture images of your visitors. Iโ€™ve managed to capture a few, but none of the images are that good. I have a backyard full of mockingbirds, robins, blue jays, doves, blue birds, cardinals, sparrows, squirrels, an occasional opossum, and chipmunks. They all run about freely until I get a camera, then nothing. The goldfinches in the front yard are even worse. Recently, I finally managed to sneak up on a chipmunk.

3. Lovely photograph!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

4. Washe Koda says:

I miss the waxwings when I lived in park city, utah years ago ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Karen Lang says:

Amazing capture! Itโ€™s beginning to look like Christmas ๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿ’

6. Mike Powell says:

Beautiful shot, Eliza, of the Cedar Waxwing in action. I love seeing all those bright red berries, though my enthusiasm for them probably is more than matched by the bird’s reaction to them.

7. Ok, now that is awesome!

8. This is winter! Love the bright, red in contrast to everything else. Exquisite!

9. Beautiful image, Eliza…

You timed it perfectly ๐Ÿ™‚

10. This appears a good year for winterberries in the landscape…at least until the waxwings devour them all. ๐Ÿ™‚ Lovely shot, Eliza!

11. Alice says:

Magnificent photo! The colors are sp perfect. Nice snack! (Reminds me of us & the Roasted Garbanzos). Winterberries are so beautiful… there are a few bushes near the pond area, behind our house, but I would never cut them (not our property). Cedar Waxwings have been a favorite bird of mine, since I was little, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

Thank you, Alice. In summer, we get them along the river, where they nest and can be seen kiting for insects from overhanging branches. They form nomadic flocks in winter, so are seen only occasionally. Winterberry is a big attraction, I recommend planting a few (a male and as many females (up to 20) as you want in a 40′ radius). If you plant it, they will come! ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. Chloris says:

A fabulous shot. It would make a lovely Christmas card.

13. Treah Pichette says:

Nice picture. Wish I had more of these in my yard!

14. Great shot, and it reminds me I need to order more winterberry so thanks for the reminder. Happy Sunday, Eliza. It’s December, and it’s white here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you, Judy. I want to order more as well, the birds (robins and bluebirds, too) eat all mine in a matter of weeks and they rarely make it to Christmas for decorating. I don’t mind, I do garden for wildlife, but a sprig or two for an arrangement would be nice!

15. Beautiful image Eliza! Love the red berries, especially the one in the birdโ€™s beak!

16. I had some Waxwings in my yard this week. I thought it was too early to eat the berries, as the birds usually eat them a couple of months from now.

17. That’s the moment isn’t it? Great capture and such a fantastic looking bird!

18. neihtn2012 says:

Beautiful capture! We are lucky that this bird stays around all year.

19. Val Boyko says:

Such a great action shot ๐Ÿ’

Ooooh! Now you’re including beautiful birds in your arrangements. ๐Ÿ˜€ Beautiful shot, Eliza.

21. Debbie says:

You definitely were in the right place at the right time to capture this shot, Eliza!!

22. Eliza a magnificent photo shot at the right time: I love it. The bird is beautiful and the red berries remind me of Christmas. Take care. Very affectionate greetings from Margarita.

23. maryjane678 says:

Wow, what a picture!! Amazing. And very Christmassy, – if there is such a word.
    MJ

What a beautiful bird

25. Beautiful photo of one of my favorite birds! They visited one year and Iโ€™ve always wished they would return.๐Ÿ™‚

They are fruit eaters and love crabapples, grapes, winterberries, etc. They are nomadic this time of year, exhausting a food source, then moving onto the next. Hope they visit you again sometime!

26. Alison says:

Thatโ€™s like a Christmas card picture

A wonderful capture, Eliza. Sadly, I didn’t see any cedar waxwings here this year as all but I suspect the death of our Toyon, usually berry-heavy during their passage through this area, may have accounted for that.

28. Alicia says:

Thatโ€™s a calendar picture right there.

29. Karina Teuma says:

so very beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

30. pbmgarden says:

Love this photo Eliza and adore these birds. Haven’t had them visit much at our current garden since we removed hedges of holly. They used to eat all the berries within a day.

31. dylan hereford says:

woah nice! cedrick!

32. naturebackin says:

What a strikingly handsome bird – it is complemented by the scarlet berries. It seems so sudden that winter has happened (although of course summer has happened where I am).

33. So beautiful, Eliza!! โค

34. Joanne says:

Oh wow, how beautiful! What a lovely pop of red against the grey. โค
    (Sorry I missed this before!)

35. Great capture Eliza! Did it come with friends? I’ve seen these in flocks.

36. DiosRaw says: