Silent Sunday

Monarch in asters

Image | This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Silent Sunday

1. I want to jump right into that picture! Lovely Eliza!

An attractive combination of colours and textures.

3. cindy knoke says:

Oh my gosh! There he is! Wonderful.

4. Karen Lang says:

Luscious Land Eliza ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ

5. Recent? If so that is a real lingerer. Hope it makes it south safely. Our asters bring a little joy as all else is fading.

6. Joanne says:

How beautiful! โค
    Are these flowers in your garden, or growing wild?

Thank you, Joanne. This was a wild patch next to the road. Usually, you get one aster here and there in a field, it is unusual to see so many in one spot. In the center, is a monarch sipping nectar before winging its way south.

wonderful image

8. neihtn2012 says:

Is that a Monarch butterfly in the middle of the picture?

9. glenys mahler says:

Beautiful Eliza

10. Alice says:

Pretty! When did you take that photo?

11. Lovely photo and with the beautiful flowers and scenery no wonder the butterfly is in no hurry to leave.๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you, Susan. I could have watched them for hours – such a pretty scene. The colors have been great so far this year, though the rain and wind last week have taken the early leaves down already.

12. Pretty fall color, Eliza. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Val Boyko says:

The butterflies and meadows are beautiful right now. What a lovely capture Eliza ๐Ÿ’›

14. bittster says:

What a patch of asters! We only had a few monarchs come through this year. I saw a bunch Thursday afternoon but they were all higher and moving south rather than garden visiting.

The monarchs I’ve seen this year seem to be localized, but the numbers weren’t what they were last year. Worrisome to this monarch-lover.
      This patch of asters was one of the biggest I’ve ever seen all together. A whole slew of other natives like winterberry and elderberry, birch and ferns. I’m so used to seeing invasive bittersweet, etc. that this little area surprised me in all being native. It was gorgeous!

15. Tranature - quiet moments in nature says:

A beautiful image Eliza and so lovely to see the monarch butterfly still feeding ๐Ÿงก

16. Irene says:

Absolutely gorgeous. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’™

17. sandyjwhite says:

Nice autumn color creeping in!

18. No doubt, hands down GORGEOUS!!!

19. arlingwoman says:

Oh my! that monarch smack in the middle! One of my neighbors in the garden has an enormous patch of purple asters (also Michaelmas daisies) and the honey bees are all over them. And I do mean ALL OVER. It’s a lovely sight and a good flower to have for late season.

20. krispeterson100 says:

I’d have a hard time leaving that meadow behind too!

21. Pretty fall scene! I saw the one Monarch, and did go back to find the other. Fly, Monarch’s, fly, it’s time to go! ๐Ÿ˜Š

22. Brilliant! Love the butterfly in the centre, but better to see it amongst the sea of asters

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for sharing that Eliza!

24. Maria says:

Beautiful asters!

25. Lovely scene topped off by the butterfly!