In A Vase on Monday – Aquilegia

flower arrangementIt has been a hectic spring and I’ve had little time to blog or even make arrangements, but I was determined to get a vase posted this week!

Columbines (Aquilegia vulgaris) are putting on a great show this year with many different varieties blooming heavily. Most were picked up at plant sales, so most have no ID. I love them all, but I am partial to the burgundy ones.

In addition, there are old-fashioned yellow Bearded Iris (I. germanica), Catmint (Nepeta racemosa), Lamb’s Ears (Stacys byzantina), white Bleeding Heart (Lamprocapnos spectabilis alba), and Grass seed heads to finish.

I’m linking toย Rambling in the Gardenย for Cathy’s weekly meme, In A Vase on Monday. Click on over to see more arrangements.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

94 Responses to In A Vase on Monday – Aquilegia

1. That’s a great combination of plants, Eliza. The white bleeding hearts are elegant. I didn’t realize their genus name has changed; I still think of them as Dicentra.

Thank you, Audrey. Yes, a couple years ago, with genetic testing now available, many plants got new names and some even families. Not that that changes their beauty one tot!

2. cindy knoke says:

What beautiful flowers, but what an unfortunate name! Aquilegia vulgaris.

3. Tranature - quiet moments in nature says:

A beautiful vase Eliza and I especially love the burgundy Columbine too ๐ŸŒบ

4. Karen Lang says:

Glad you found some time to create this beautiful arrangement! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. jenanita01 says:

Loving the colour of those columbines…

6. Lovely arrangement in an equally gorgeous vase. Happy spring for sure. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. What a gorgeous vase. I am very fond of Aquilegias, but don’t have any as wonderfully rich in colour as yours.

8. Gorgeous, Eliza. Yes it has been a hectic Spring, I agree. My red Columbines have yet to show and I’m not sure if they will. My purple have however. xo

9. Iโ€™ve never seen a burgundy columbineโ€” gorgeous! I have double pink ones that are going nuts. I enjoy seeing your In a Vase on Monday feature again.

10. susurrus says:

I love the colour combination too – it makes me think of lemon and blackcurrant.

11. Sculptural and unusual, a lovely arrangement.

12. Alice says:

A smile on my face when I saw Your IAVOM post. The burgundy are gorgeous! I have a bluish ~ lilacy color which has spread all over the yard & even comes up between bricks. It’s interesting that you are at the most 21/2 hours away, but your Candytuft still blooms…mine has finished & most of my Bleeding heart flowers are now Pods…which are also pretty.

Thank you, Alice! I love columbine and grab seeds to spread around every year. Like little woodland surprises that pop up every spring.
      My candytuft and tulips have gone over, but I was too busy to get a post in until yesterday. Still, I think your area is a bit warmer than we are in the hills.

13. I have to agree that the columbine is gorgeous. Only one color works well here and it is yellow.

14. So very lovely. But my favorite is the burgundy columbine. Looks like velvet.

What a lovely arrangement.

16. A lovely combination and vase Eliza. Have you noticed that some plants are doing especially well this year. I don’t know about your winter, but ours was especially mild, and I’m attributing it to that.
    Your columbine is a lovely jewel color. I always thought they were pastel colors, so it is lovely to see such a stunning jewel color.

Thank you, Cindy. Yes, certain plants like the columbines and esp. the azaleas were spectacular this year without the usual bits of winter killed buds.
      I have two burgundy columbines, one has a creamy ‘trumpet’, and Blue Barlow, which is a deep violet double, among a few others.

17. tonytomeo says:

Yes, that burgundy is pretty rad!

18. Kris Peterson says:

The burgundy Aquilegia is wonderful, Eliza! I’ve never seen one in that color but of course I don’t see many here to begin with ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I like the contrast of the burgundy and yellow in this arrangement too.

Yay for Vase on a Monday! Gorgeous Eliza! ๐Ÿ˜

20. Gorgeous flowers and arrangement. I see wild Columbines are blooming here and there depending on the elevation. I have some in a fenced area that are dark pink with pale pink. Love them!

Thank you, Denise. I have a yellow A. chrysantha that blooms later than the rest. Colorado columbines make me think of fairy dancers – so light and airy. I expect yours are lovely. A great plant!

21. naturebackin says:

What an adventurous combination and the flowers and plants work so well together. Lovely colours too.

22. That’s a classy colour combination. I particularly love that juicy blackcurrant aquilegia. Sadly, I can no longer grow them here as they have all been wiped out by a nasty downy mildew disease. Glad to enjoy yours though!

Thank you, Allison. So sad that you have lost your Aquilegias. I imagine that lingers in the soil for years? A similar thing has been happening here locally with Impatiens and Basil. Dreadful!

Ahh … there’s my Monday Vase treat. ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Great Main Image Flower Arrangement Eliza! And the smaller images are beautiful also!

Fabulous. Just love the shade of that Aquilegia.

26. gaiainaction says:

A beautiful bunch of flowers Eliza, I too love Aquilegia but i am not growing it yet. One day I too will grow them I hope.

27. Love the flower combination in the arrangement and the burgundy is beautiful!๐Ÿ™‚

28. What a beautiful vase, Eliza. Truly a work of art! โค

29. arlingwoman says:

Wow, I love the arrangement (as ever) but what it shows is how far north you are in comparison to my garden. All those flowers were about 3 weeks ago…I’m collecting seed from my aquilegias now… for scattering places they haven’t spread. That crimson one is really lovely.

Thank you, Lisa. The north/south progression is interesting to note. Dahlias are blooming in the Carolinas and I only planted mine last week as it was too cold here in May.

• arlingwoman says:

I remember flying up to Rhode Island years ago for a christening in April and seeing all the forsythia, which had been done here for a month. It was like revisiting a part of spring. I just planted some dahlia seeds, but not because it wasn’t warm enough; more because I discovered the seed…

30. How excited are we? What a gift these flowers are! Love when you post these.

Your burgundy columbines are very pretty Eliza, and look different to those we get here. Combined with your yellow iris it looks great in a vase. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

32. the running wave says:

I love seeing the different colour palettes in all the Monday vases! Yours is a cracker! Lots of striking colours and flower shapes. It’s really lovely! Amanda https://therunningwave.blogspot.com/2020/06/a-rosy-glow-in-vase-on-monday.html

33. dianaed14 says:

Such a pretty dainty flower

34. Beautiful arrangement and nice vase…I love blue pottery of most any kind..Staffordshire being my favorite. We are down to just some basic blue columbine that I think were another hybrid color that reverted to the original and have self-sown here and there. We used to have some nice doubles but they have disappeared over time…most likely I did not care for them as they desired. Your burgundies are rich and lovely.

35. Your flower arrangements are always so artistic, Eliza! โค

36. Wonderful arrangement set off by that beautiful vase!

37. Chloris says:

So pretty and I love that aquilegia.

38. Isha Garg says:

Transporting! There’s something truly transporting in this, Eliza! ๐ŸŒผ๐Ÿ˜

39. pbmgarden says:

This is lovely Eliza. The burgundy columbine is striking. I have an old-fashioned yellow iris similar to yours that I treasure. Have a good week.

40. Gracefully Global travels says:

Amazing arrangement!

41. Maria says:

What variety Eliza!

42. Adele Brand says:

How pretty! Lovely arrangement.

Wild columbine grows in my local meadows. Quite a dramatic plant!

43. Beautiful Eliza. I love the yellows.