Silent Sunday

IMG_2971

Image | This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Silent Sunday

1. Jim Ruebush says:

We have wild raspberries and blackberries on the way. I may need to make ice cream soon.

2. Ann @Ann Edwards Photography says:

a taste of summer. Enjoy!

3. Yum! Hope you get lots!

4. Lovely, they’re coming along. From your garden?

5. smallsunnygarden says:

Looks wonderful!! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Heather says:

What thoughts/recommendations do you have for a person who wants to plant a couple strawberry plants and let them go crazy? I’d be happy if they took over, and I’m not interested in the overly large, underwsweet berries we get at the store ๐Ÿ™‚

I would buy from a grower that specializes in berries for the best quality plants. They need well-drained soil. I’d use straw mulch to keep them off the ground. Beware of slugs, however. Birds and rodents can be a problem, too. You might try using a special strawberry pot – a clay container with ‘pockets’ in which to plant the strawb. It gives good air circulation and you can keep it on a deck or patio away from critters. You may have to put it in a garage over winter so the pot won’t freeze and crack. I’m glad we have local growers, so I don’t have to worry about growing my own. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But tasting your own fruit is definitely a pleasure!

7. Jaspa says:

We found some strawberries while working in the garden this weekend… Tiny but so tasty!

8. This speaks to me that there is always potential for growth. Needed this today ๐Ÿ™‚

Yummy and beautiful. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Laurie Graves says:

It’s that strawberry time of year. Love the smell!

11. Brenda says:

June means strawberries. Love them.

12. Brian Skeys says:

Yum Yum, I must go down to the allotment to see if we have any!

Mmmm … I’m still working on the delicious nibbles of strawberry rhubarb crisp! I scare Robin fledglings out of my Potager each time I go back there – no doubt eating those strawberries but no worry, plenty to go around!

14. Maria F. says:

This is something we cannot grow here. Very nice!

15. MK says:

Yikes, I’m TEN days behind on saying hello to my friends! Your berries are so charming. Wild strawberries, huh? I suppose that makes them all the sweeter.

They are plentiful this year, but the critters get all the ripest ones, so I take the more sour just so I get a hint of that great wild flavor. It is the same with the wild blueberriesโ€“ They get to them first!

• MK says:

Our walnut tree is laden with lots & lots of big green fruit(?). I think there’s going to be a showdown between us and the squirrels. Smart money is on the squirrels.

They don’t have our distractionsโ€ฆbut clear focus on one thing: food. They are persistent and cagey, too. They always win around here.