In A Vase On Monday – Voluptuous Peonies

IMG_3032I adore the voluptuous, scented blossoms of peonies (Paeonia lactiflora) and wish their all-too-short blooming season would last longer. Today, I deadheaded the terminal buds that have gone by and now have the smaller secondary buds to enjoy.  It is supposed to be warm the next few days, so I might have only a week left.

IMG_3034 IMG_3013

This week’s arrangement has double white and bubblegum pink blooms, a semi-double in shell-pink and a rich, magenta-pink single.

IMG_3011I’ve also added a few oxeye daisies (Leucanthemum vulgare) and contrasting stems of speedwell – the exquisite cobalt of Veronica ‘Crater Lake Blue.’ This is my absolute favorite speedwell!

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In the Garden, who hosts a weekly meme to showcase what is blooming in our gardens. Wander over to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging this week.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – Voluptuous Peonies

1. domnuio says:

Great shots,and beautiful flowers !

2. maureenc says:

Absolutely gorgeous , Eliza! I envy you your flowers………they don’t grow in my part of the world.

Thank you, Maureen. Sad to hear about your lack of peonies. It is lamentable, to be sure. My sister lived in FL for years and she missed peonies and lilacs – our two spring olfactory delights!

3. Christina says:

Lovely arrangement Eliza, the Veronica really adds to the overall beauty of the peonies.

They are gorgeous Eliza! You have such a pretty mixture of colours – the rich magenta is wonderful.. And the Veronica is such a deep blue – lovely!

The white and pink peonies look like ladies dressed up for a ball. Wonderful as always.

6. jenanita01 says:

Reblogged this on Anita Dawes & Jaye Marie and commented:
    wonderful way to start the week!

7. Ann @Ann Edwards Photography says:

simply gorgeous peonies!

8. susurrus says:

I love them too. Thanks for sharing this very pretty, cottage garden style arrangement.

Glorious peonies! The veronica and the blue background are perfect to show off the deep pink blooms. Do you know the name of the single magenta flower with that lovely boss of stamens?

10. Stunning! I found the ‘Crater Lake Blue’ veronica in many gardens in England and Wales on my recent trip. It certainly stands out from the crowd!

11. seedbud says:

Voluptuous really says it! Gorgeous.

12. dorannrule says:

Peonies are definitely show stoppers and your additions make showcasing them extra special.

13. Laurie Graves says:

The extroverts of the flower world. So very lovely!

14. Peter/Outlaw says:

Oh my, this is a truly gorgeous combination of over-the-top voluptuous peonies and simple sweet daisies, and handsome blue spires of Speedwell. ‘Crater Lake Blue’ is my favorite veronica too. It’s nice that you brought a few peonies inside to enjoy during this last few days of their bloom time this year.

15. I love peonies and so many are popping up all over….without much rain they are lasting nicely so I am sure I will pick some next week!

16. Mm. Nice. Superb arrangement. 😀

17. Anca Tîrcă says:

So so nice!Peonies and that cobalt blue Veronica look so well together!

18. They are such beautiful flowers, Eliza.Voluptuous, indeed, and your arrangement is pretty.

19. pbmgarden says:

Eliza, your peonies are lovely and this is a great way to enjoy them. Crater Lake Blue is a wonderful color that works well in your vase.

20. Glorious photos and flowers. I always look forward to your “vase” series!

21. Fabulously voluptuous, almost makes me want to move north. Almost. Peonies are really something special and I did grow Veronica, just not that one-lovely!

22. hannahkenway says:

Really beautiful vibrant colours – a wonderful image and peonies are my favourite flowers.

23. Heather says:

Very nice color! I’ve seen an uptick in the number of bridal bouquets with peonies in them this year. Lots of white on white. 🙂

24. joanna says:

Such luxurious bouquets – I admire your White Balance setting on your camera that gives these tinted photos. This V. ‘crater lake blue’ has become my nest ‘must have’

Thank you, Joanna. CLB is an excellent performer – I’ve had divisions of the original for over twenty years and it is still going strong. You’ll love it, I’m sure.

25. ladygrace33 says:

Beautiful vase Eliza 🙂

26. Beautywhizz says:

Looks stunning. The peonies and the Veronica are the stars.

27. srickman2014 says:

Such a beautiful combination of colors! Well done:-)

28. You know my love of peonies, but that speedwell is an incredible color! It is a beautiful contrast for the peonies.

29. Dymoon says:

picture perfect..

30. arlingwoman says:

Your eye is unfailing. Goodness what a lush bouquet and that speedwell, what a gorgeous contrast.

31. Julie says:

Hi Eliza, What a lovely combination of colors in your vase. Pure peony perfection!

32. Gorgeous…yet again:)

Oh, Eliza, more gorgeous peonies! The addition of the blue Veronica was a nice touch – it makes the arrangement jazzy rather than sugary.

Yes, as Kris says the blue really changes the emphasis – an inspired addition to the pretty peonies. Thanks for sharing

How gorgeous! I do love peonies.

36. AmyRose🌹 says:

Ohhhhhhh how gorgeous, Eliza!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Peonies and I like you wish they would last longer. Their sweet intoxicating smell along with my Lilacs makes that area of my gardens like Perfume Ally. I just today completely cut all flower stalks off my Peony bushes and now they are just green. I miss those flowers all ready, darn it!!! ❤

Once again I wish there was smell-o-rama! Such a bursting beautiful arrangement Eliza. I’ll be peony shopping this fall!

38. Maria F. says:

Wow, Eliza, they are mind-blowing!

39. Val Boyko says:

They really pop Eliza!!

40. Sharon says:

Oh Eliza, it’s been too long since I visited, but tonight I had the pleasure of strolling through your lovely images. We’re in a heat wave going on two weeks now, and viewing your beautiful arrangements and heavenly property was like stepping into a woodland retreat. Thank you.

I don’t know how I missed this one. It’s a stunning arrangement. Everything seems perfectly places in terms of shape and color to be the most pleasing to the eye. I bet those peonies smell heavenly too. 🙂

42. Debra says:

Words fail. This is probably the most beautiful arrangement ever.

43. MK says:

The colors are absolutely perfect together. I especially like the little blue flowers.

44. Such an abundance of color…🌹

45. Dina says:

Tis is absolutely wonderful, Eliza! ❤ We love Paeonias and can’t wait for them to bloom in the garden. At the moment it’s quite chilly in North Norfolk and it’s raining cats and dogs, but we are quite optimistic the flowers will open soon. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Greetings from the Fab Four