In A Vase On Monday – Foxglove & Iris

IMG_5688For this week’s vase, I used white and purple foxgloves (Digitalis) and a purple/white Japanese/Siberian/Louisiana? iris that I picked up at a yard sale, so I am uncertain as to its name. A search online has yielded no close identification. IMG_5695If anyone can enlighten me, please do. Regardless, it is still a lovely and prolific addition to my iris collection.

IMG_5692You might note I tucked in one of the very last white peony (Paeonia) blossoms. The cool and cloudy weather this week allowed them to linger a bit longer. A full month of voluptuous and scented blooms, who could ask for anything more?

IMG_5687Chartreuse blossoms of lady’s mantle (Alchemilla) are a favorite filler flower of mine and tight buds of golden valerian (Patrinia) are used as a green. For added interest, I put in a few tendrils of grape vine (Vitis).

IMG_5686I’ve used my favorite vase, a hand thrown pottery gem that I bought in my twenties from a potter in New Hampshire. One of a kind, the artist had moved on to a different technique and she had few of this style left.

IMG_5693Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In the Garden,  who hosts a weekly meme to showcase what is blooming in our gardens by creating arrangements to enjoy inside our homes. Wander over to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging this week. Feel free to join in, sharing your own weekly vase with a link to Cathy’s blog.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – Foxglove & Iris

1. dorannrule says:

A lovely presentation Eliza!

2. cindy knoke says:

What a lovely, natural boquet!

3. mk says:

I really like the horizontal extension you accomplished with the grape tendrils, and that vase is WONDERFUL!

4. I can see why you love that vase, the vine is an inspired addition to your lovely arrangement. I’m envious of your ‘iris collection’ I lost many of mine during several house moves, just a deep purple one left. That is an interesting iris you have there, I’ve never seen one quite that colour before.

Thanks and sorry to hear you’ve had to leave your plants behind. My husband’s favorite flower is iris, so after 25 years here we have quite a few. There’d be more if he had his way, but there is a limit to my love of iris! 😉

5. Beautiful arrangement, Eliza. Sorry, I can’t help with the iris.

The iris is really pretty – quite unusual. And I love the addition of the vine. Alchemilla is perfect for adding to vases isn’t it! I was also able to enjoy my white peony for over four weeks, but the last buds have succumbed to the heat now.

7. The iris is very pretty, beautifully balanced vase. 🙂

The vine tendril is such a great idea – not that I have grapes, but I do have one of the ornamental ones, so that’s something to remember for future vases… The foxglove and iris are perfect bedfellows, and I suppose using your last peony is a fitting tribute to their contribution to your garden. Thanks for sharing.

9. This is a lovely arrangement, and I like the setting of the porch railing as the back drop. But, I really like the vase. 🙂

10. pbmgarden says:

Wow! I envy your abundance of foxgloves–so lovely. Hope you find out your iris’s name. Using the tendrils is imaginative.

Thank you! Foxglove has self-sown throughout my ‘spring’ garden. It is interesting to see how they cross-pollinate, with blossoms in deep to light purple and plain white, never enough of those!

11. Val Boyko says:

Where’s the love button! The ladies mantle filler sets off the pinks and purples so well 😎

12. A type of bulbous iris perhaps Eliza…Dutch or Spanish maybe? http://www.growerdirect.com/types-of-irises

Your peonies were fabulous this year. Sometimes I wish the Maestro could bring all the flowers into glorious bloom together in spring and then keep them there in brilliant crescendo all summer long.

But, fickle creatures that we are, we’d probably get bored with it 8^)

A treat for the eyes! Love your taste in vase and flower. I grew beautiful foxglove in Maine but here they just don’t take for me. Must be the soil. My favorites are the grape tendrils and Lady’s Mantle. I haven’t any idea about the Iris but I’m sure someone will come to your rescue.

Thanks, Kathy. 🙂 Perhaps it is a hybrid cross. It a rapid multiplier – it has grown a lot since I got it a few years ago. A mystery plant is always fun to have!

14. You always display such a great balance in your creations Eliza. I wonder if this speaks to how you live life ? 🙂

15. Another beautiful arrangement! I particularly like the grape tendrils and iris – it is so unusual! (And, of course, the peony – always wonderful).

16. frances42015 says:

I love the colours and texture of this display…beautiful ✨✨✨

17. ladygrace33 says:

Lovely images of lovely flowers 🙂

18. What a fun combo with the iris and foxgloves…and I especially loved the tendrils of grapevine…that really made it just fabulous!

19. arlingwoman says:

There’s such lovely whimsey in your addition of vines…

20. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

I love your arrangements! I bet your garden is absolutely stunning!

Thank you, Mary. They might be if I put more effort into them – lol! I always feel I’m behind in my gardening chores. It is more fun to sit by the river or blog. 😉

21. AmyRose says:

Beautiful post, Eliza. It makes me smile to know you like me have such a deep Love for flowers!!! Have a wonderful day!!! (((HUGS))) Amy <4

22. AmyRose says:

LOL I meant ❤

23. wspines says:

Eliza
    I so enjoyed looking at your beautiful flowers today and the vase is beautiful.

24. Thank you for sharing such beauty and wealth Eliza…