Sculpted

IMG_4280Soft snow sculpted by the wind blankets chunks of river ice featured in a post here a few weeks ago. What a contrast!

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Sculpted

1. Trini Lind says:

Oh, this is absolutely gorgeous!! 🙂 ❤

2. smilecalm says:

puts me in the mood
    for some blues!
    perhaps Buddy Guy 🙂

3. Mike Bizeau says:

Beautiful Photo soft and sculpted.

4. cindy knoke says:

Looks like soft beautiful blankets. Absolutely gorgeous shot!

5. mk says:

This photo is as soft as the others were jagged. A beautiful shot.

6. Karen says:

Beautiful Eliza.

7. Val Boyko says:

Smooth and blue … very different from the fragmented darkness and light!

8. Wow!! I love the colors.

9. Heather says:

I love the gentle blue shadows that appear on snow on sunny days. Makes it easier to believe it’s not so cold out 🙂

10. Maria F. says:

Beautiful and sublime image!

What a gorgeous shot.

12. dorannrule says:

Nature’s magnificence!

13. Wait? The river ice is under all that snow? OK, it’s definitely going to be July before this all melts. Incredible.

Yep, and more coming this weekend. Cabin fever is so bad I’m about to check out postings for last minute travel deals. 😉

• OMG, this is a nightmare!! I saw Boston might get another foot this weekend and they are considering dumping in the harbor. Why the reluctance in the first place? Road salts, etc? I know you know the answers to my numerous questions….

Yes, roads have lots of pollutants, even run-off in storm drains are supposed to be processed, but when it floods, or snows a lot, all bets are off. There is simply no place to put it. Someone told me that there are landowners who are paid ‘rent’ by the city for dumping the snow on their property. Easy money I guess.

14. What an exquisite photo, Eliza. Such beauty from such extreme weather! I love the lighting of this shot. It started snowing here today a little after 4 and the temps dropped from 38 to 31 in about a half hour- right at rush hour, of course. Looks like a wicked weather weekend. And there will probably be a whole lot of babies born around Thanksgiving !! Giant hugs to you- hope you are all warm and well. WG

Thanks so much. Winter’s beauty is its redeeming feature. Weekend forecast looks so cold. We’ve been burning the wood big time, hope the supply lasts ’til spring. Hugs back at ya!

• I hope there is enough wood in the state to last until spring! This weather business is beyond all reason. when do you start seeds with so much snow on the ground, Eliza?

There actually was a firewood shortage this fall. That’s why we order ours in April, to season over the summer in the shed.
        Since we can’t be guaranteed frost-free ’til the end of May, mid-April sowings for most things. I’m not big on starting seeds indoors anymore. I favor the self-sowers in my beds to know when to rise. And the local grower gets a fair amount of our business as well.

• Very wise, Eliza. You obviously have fine tuned how to work with your climate 😉 I’m glad you have plenty of wood put by, and hope it lasts through the season for you. End of May? That is a full 6 weeks beyond our frost free- You owe yourself at last one Virginia spring, Eliza 😉

Hmmm, is that an invitation? 😉

15. Very nice lighting and perfect title. Super image!

16. Robbie says:

love the sculpted snow, but I am thinking spring greens:-)