Snow Day Fun

DSC09141What do you do when it snows? Go sledding! My young neighbors (I think of them as my surrogate grandkids) joined us for an expedition to the top of our hill where there is a fine view and the open field is perfect for sledding. DSC09143It’s been snowing on and off for two days now, a fine light snow that so far hasn’t accumulated to more than a few inches, although previous snowfall and drifting has the snow to the depth of my knees. DSC09145Loading the toboggan, getting all the legs in and the weight right…heaviest last. πŸ˜‰

DSC09156

Easy going down, tougher coming up!

DSC09155

The best part is the laughter, gosh, I have such a good time with my snow angels!

DSC09147Special thanks to my spouse for handling the dog and the camera!

This entry was posted in Country Living and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Snow Day Fun

1. Kate Houck says:

Love that last picture!

2. Maria F. says:

Looks like fun! When I was in college in N.C. we went sledding using the trays from the cafeteria. They worked alright , except that sometimes instead of going straight, we would end up spinning.

Spinning is why I never liked snow tubes – one ends up going backwards downhill and you can’t see what’s coming – so dangerous! Luckily, this was ‘slow snow’ – I’m past the age for fast rides on crusty snow!

3. Kina says:

Oh, what fun! It brings back memories of going up on the hill behind the house and sledding onto the frozen pond. I got back on skates this winter after nearly 50 years, so perhaps next year I will go sliding down the hill with you!

4. All those smiles remind me of the years I enjoyed winter outdoor activities with my grandkids. What a fun day you had. πŸ™‚

5. Trini Lind says:

Oh, I wish wish wish I could come!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

6. Heather says:

These are marvelous! Winter exuberance is what they show πŸ™‚

7. mk says:

What wonderful pictures! The kids and you all look like you’re having great fun. What I like most (photographically) is that all the white really focuses the attention on the people and their colorfulness.

The nearest I’ve come to this was as a kid in San Diego — my sisters and I rode down a hill of dry long grass while sitting in cardboard boxes. It was great fun!

Thanks, M. It was a great time – I laughed a lot. Good for the soul. Snow outfits today are very colorful, photos come fully saturated!
      Every kid should experience sledding in some form – it is such a thrill, not to mention super exercise, which folks (in my opinion) today don’t get enough of!

8. Val Boyko says:

So much fun!! The photos really captured the moments πŸ™‚

9. wspines says:

It looks like so much fun, great photos and a great view. There will be many more chances to sled with this snow we are getting.

10. Please inform us whether is is July or August when all that snow melts, Eliza!

Ha! I know, mucho nieve, si? It may be July before it all melts. In the hills the woods have had snow some years until Mem. Day. It might be this year as well. It has been snowing since Sat. & today it is really coming down – 8″ so far and more coming. I don’t ever recall a 3-day storm before. Crazy!

• Crazy is right! This must be impacting the economy and schools and, well, everything!

The kids are going to have to attend school right through the end of June. I think they should ditch April vacation instead as they learn NOTHING in the end of the year. Business I’m sure is hurting, winter is slow anyway, but at least some commerce comes in, when its snows, nada.

Oh! That looks like so much fun!! I love that last image. Your snow angels are very colorful. πŸ™‚

What fun and cute shots!

13. What great fun πŸ˜‰ You make me envy your snow and your wonderful friends. Gorgeous toboggan! Love to you and hubby and to Wren, WG

One of the good things about winter is this kind of fun. That is an LLBean toboggan we got from my dad-in-law for Xmas when the boys were very young. It is pretty beat, but still works fine when we do drag it out of storage. I won’t let it go like we did all the other sleds. Family heirloom πŸ˜‰

14. Robbie says:

That is precious:-) I remember growing up in Minn as a kid:-) Your lovely photo essay took me back to a time- I spend afternoons sledding-thank you for sharing. You are luck to have young neighbors they will keep you young. I was looking for you in the snow angels! darn we are not too old:-) LOL

15. Looks like a wonderful time. πŸ™‚