Waterfall Ice

IMG_4046Each winter, our waterfall becomes ice encrusted as soon as the temperatures fall below freezing. As the water continues to fall and freeze, amazing ice formations grow, which I find fascinating and beautiful. IMG_4020Every day brings a different configuration.

Warmer weather or rain can increase the down flow, melting the ice and diminishing the varying forms which then build up once it freezes again.

IMG_4058Long stalactites form like sharp teeth, growing longer every day. Even more interesting are the stalagmites that form below water dripping from above or splashing repeatedly over the base of the waterfall. I like the round mounds that look like marbles all glued together. In the photo below, the icicles have fused with the ‘marbles’ that formed over mossy stones and bits of autumn leaves.

IMG_4024The ice grows inward from the edges, eventually closing off the stream except for a few pockets where the flow is very rapid. Often hoar frost will form and create feathered edges around these openings.

IMG_4053 IMG_4064

One more example of the beautiful art exhibits offered to us by Nature for our winter enjoyment!

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Waterfall Ice

1. Sharon K. says:

Oh these are so tactile and magical! A crystal ice palace in your very own garden. 🙂

2. smilecalm says:

beautiful!
    inspires me to find
    some winter cold 🙂

3. M E Cheshier says:

Wow! A very impressive pic!

4. mk says:

I was so surprised when first looking at your photos, because I thought that you had converted all of them to black & white. As I looked more closely, I see bits of blue & gold & green & brown frozen into each one, and I was even more surprised. To me this is like nature being struck with a wand, frozen in waiting.

5. Maria F. says:

Amazing photography, I love this. It seems to be monochromatic, yet I start noticing the color and it’s great!

How very lovely – winter at its best!

Beautiful photos – I love the 4th one in particular – looks like ice-cubes!

8. I had been looking forward to your winter pictures. Beautiful again!

9. Mother Nature is truly ‘the artist in residence.’ Love the frost and the marbles. 🙂

10. Robbie says:

beautiful but I want spring:-)

Love these Eliza, just stunning!

12. dorannrule says:

How gorgeous your photos are Eliza of nature’s frozen jewelry.

13. Absolutely wonderful images, Eliza! Thoughts are with you as this giant storm bears down. I hope you stay safe and sound and the power stays on. I’m sure there will be some gorgeous post-storm photos!

14. Such a wonderful capture Eliza!!

15. Beautiful. Fairytale vision.

16. ladygrace33 says:

Ice are certainly excellent motives…beautiful 🙂

17. livblumer says:

so that’s what hoar frost looks like.

18. Joanne says:

Your photos are fascinating, Eliza, especially to this sub-tropical residing Australian, who has never seen such amazing gifts from nature. I’m often told how lucky I am to live in an area where we have virtually no winter at all ~ I disagree, I think those who experience the extremes of the four seasons are the lucky ones. Your photos are beautiful, thank you. 🙂

It must be rather hard to imagine such adversity of weather by one used to the tropics. I’m always thankful that I have a warm home to return to, otherwise I probably wouldn’t survive. I think this life/death edge creates a feeling of being more alert/alive somehow. Am I rambling or does that make sense? 🙂 Thanks for your comment, Joanne!

19. I love how the ice seems to stop time in one moment. I know it is not happening that way, but the image makes me think of that.

Oh my gosh, you have accomplished it! You have made winter look attractive! No small feat! What a wonder to have in your garden. Every garden should have such a beautiful waterfall. I am envious.

LOL – thanks Kathy, it is a feat to make you think winter is attractive! Winter does have its good points. Today the sun shines out of a cobalt sky, cold and crisp. If one dresses warmly, it isn’t so bad!

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Eliza Waters wrote:

21. Karen says:

Eliza, it must be extremely cold where you are, great images.

We generally get below freezing temps. for 6 wks. mid-Dec. to early Feb. Then the days might warm, but nights will stay cold until May. The ice will be with us until March. Thanks for stopping by!

Your photos are all so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your ice with us. We have very little of it here on the Eastern Shore. It’s been a mild winter.

Thank you, Robin. You aren’t really all that far away from MA, yet what a difference the jet stream makes. Just finished shoveling 12″ off the deck and walks. Phew! We’re having our usual winter, maybe even a bit colder!

23. Rebecca says:

Eliza, we have been hearing on the news over here that your part of the US is hunkering down for the worst snowstorm ever recorded (or the coldest temperatures ever recorded, perhaps? I’m not sure which). Hope you stay safe and warm.

24. RMW says:

Stunning photos and such fun… as long as I am not the one who has to be outside in the freezing weather!