Vernal Equinox

Spring blossoms

Prunus

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the long-awaited Vernal Equinox is here at last. Even though my yard is still covered in snow and it is only 15F (-9C) as I write this, the sun is shining strongly out of a flawless blue sky. (For my southern hemisphere friends, may your autumn be a beautiful one.)

Yesterday, all the bare spots in the yard and woods were dotted with a large flock of American Robins, overturning leaves in search of sustenance. Half a dozen Red-winged Blackbirds clicked and called “Chireee” from the trees, while resident titmice, cardinals and woodpeckers were all issuing their own spring calls. Pure delight to have them announce Spring was here despite the chilly winter temperatures.

The Smith College Spring Bulb Show, a different harbinger of spring, was well-attended this year, as folks like me sought the colour and scent not seen here since fall. Below is a sampling– Happy Equinox!

Muscari & Hyacinth

Muscari & Hyacinth

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

117 Responses to Vernal Equinox

1. Laurie Graves says:

Beautiful! Spring is coming to us, ever so slowly. I even saw some pussy willows by the side of the road. But in northern New England, spring is a fitful affair. Glad you had the show to perk you up.

2. Balm for the New England gardening soul. πŸ™‚

3. Happy Equinox Eliza…..we are hoping for a slow melt this week (with those cold temps) to bring the songbirds to the garden again….too much snow still covers everything, but the resident red-winged blackbird is back claiming his territory!

4. Peter Herpst says:

Happy spring! I hope your snow belts soon and that the fabulous color you saw at the bulb show makes itself known in your garden.

5. Happy Equinox Eliza!

6. Beautiful images …

Here in South India it’s getting hotter and hotter day by day.

But the hilly regions are beautiful with flowers like these πŸ™‚

Have a beautiful day πŸ™‚

7. Beautiful photos Eliza and nice to hear the birds are back😊

8. Like your house, it may not look like spring here, but it definitely sounds like it!

Thank you – from the southern hemisphere – for your autumn wishes. Your first photograph is trly beautiful!

10. Great images Eliza. Spring has sprung!

11. Alice Pratt says:

All your senses must have had a wonderful time at the Bulb Show 🌸 Awesome photos! More snow for us is on the way…5 to 10″ & locally 12″……

12. Jet Eliot says:

Amazing resilience you have, Eliza, to talk about spring when it’s only 15 degrees out. This is impressive. And thanks for sharing the bird song and the colorful spring flower show. Happy spring to you, in all its many forms. BTW, I went to a flower show last week and thought of you, it was exquisite.

Spring may be coming in on tippy-toes in your area but there’s no question it’s on its way!

14. Dymoon says:

what a happy post.. I could see the robins and birds… yea… hopefully it moves up here quickly!

15. gwenniesgardenworld says:

If only Spring would come and stay !! One day it is warm and sunny, the next snow and ice, I hate that !! I’d rather have all the bad weather in a row and when it finally gets better it should stay !! Alas…it doen’t work that way. I love that white tulip !! And the other pictures too ofcourse !

16. Karen says:

Beautiful Eliza! Autumn here is still unbelievably hot and humid although today is lovely and cool with rain and the garden is flourishing with that extra bit of watering. Have a great day!

17. Ali says:

Gorgeous pics! I love a parrot tulip, and those blue hyacinths and muscari are stunning.

Ooh, gorgeous photos Eliza! Happy Equinox! (I will wish you a happy spring when it finally arrives!)
    πŸ™‚

Happy spring equinox Eliza. While our temperatures are no where near as cold as yours i do feel things need to warm up soon for many of us! Here’s hoping:-)

20. Gorgeous photos and flowers, Eliza. I enjoyed seeing the classic spring bulbs and hope yours are popping up soon! Happy Spring.

21. dawnbirdau says:

Happy Spring! Photographs are just beautiful. Such a special time of year.

22. susurrus says:

Happy equinox! ‘Flaming Springgreen’ is a beautiful tulip – a great one to celebrate the day.

23. Spring is here! Beautiful photos! To bad we are expecting up to 15 inches of snow here in the next 2 days!

24. A beautiful beginning to Spring!!πŸ™‚

25. A beautiful array of Spring Eliza β˜€οΈπŸŒΈ 🌻

26. Wow! What gorgeous photos of spring’s glory Eliza!!! πŸ™‚ ❀

27. Happy Spring! It is lovely to begin to see bright colours around again isn’t it?

Yay for Eliza! I hear the Red Wings and Robins are also back in Clayton. Spring has arrived. Get ready for Summer ha ha.

29. Sue Vincent says:

Gorgeous photos, Eliza, We are a long way from that here yet!

30. Christina says:

Our winter has been much colder and longer than usual Eliza and I know just what you mean about craving colour. I know I am lucky that my garden isn’t under snow and there is some colour from early bulbs but I too am craving some bright colours to make me believe that it will be spring ‘proper’ soon! Love that T. ‘Flaming Spring Green’ – I think that might find its way onto my list for next year.

31. arlingwoman says:

Happy spring! Isn’t it nice to get a preview at one of these shows? I tell you, sometimes I just have to drop into a nursery at the end of winter. I hope the storm isn’t hitting you too hard. We were lucky today–only about 5 inches.

32. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

Beautiful flower shots, Eliza! Happy Spring!
    We are still waiting for winter here. Still waiting…..

33. Vicki says:

Gorgeous Spring flowers and I love that last image of the Tulips. Unusual colouring and pattern.

34. Maria says:

Fascinating flower show. Thanks!

35. Christy B says:

I’m happy to have spring here! And your post is a glorious celebration of nature, Eliza πŸ™‚

36. Happy Equinox, Eliza! Unfortunately, I could not see one photograph! I mean, really? What gives? *sighs* Gosh darn it I wanted to see flowers today! *another sigh* πŸŒΊπŸŒ·πŸ’–πŸŒΈπŸŒΌ

37. NorCal Zen says:

Happy, Happy Vernal Equinox! Your photos are inspiring πŸ™‚

38. Sunny says:

A wonderful blog, Eliza! I’m listening to red wing blackbirds now as I write this in SW Florida. Some of the things I love most here are the birds! We have been snowbirds ourselves, going north for the summer, but challenges of aging have made that less manageable and we are going to live down here year round after selling our PA home this summer. I relish the thought!

Thank you, Sunny. I have heard that you are in the perfect place where the spring migrants make their first landfall after crossing the Caribbean. I was told that the numbers of songbirds funneled there mimics the numbers that once graced our woodlands before populations declined due to habitat loss. I’ve often dreamt of hearing/seeing such a spectacle. May you enjoy it!

39. What fun! Happy spring

40. Thanks for sharing a beautiful bit of spring Eliza!

41. Rebecca says:

Lovely to see you celebrating the arrival of shorter nights and longer days, Eliza :). I am bracing myself as always for the opposite — what call the grey months — over here in South Australia; I keep telling myself that the transition period is always the worst!

Thank you, Rebecca. It is true! When the weather starts to turn, there is a period of dread before we move into acceptance. Facing a long winter ahead takes fortitude.

42. bittster says:

Flaming Spring green is a nice one, I don’t think I’ve seen it around. I wonder if it would be as showy in the garden or if it needs a closeup to get the full effect…
    Those blues are awesome! -but everything mixed together down the bench is just as nice. I can’t wait!

43. Jane Lurie says:

Glorious images, Eliza. Full of the colors of spring.

44. Beautiful bulbs and hope the winter is being pushed out by the Spring although I know here in Europe and old England there’s to be another cold spell over Easter! Keep well and warm!

45. Annette says:

Wishing you a happy spring too, Eliza, and thanks for sharing those colourful beauties, much appreciated on this grey, wet day. Hope your snow will be gone soon. πŸ™‚

46. Ron Smith says:

Lovely picture Eliza Waters and Happy Vernal Equinox day all

47. naturebackin says:

Hope your temps start rising soon. Love your hyacinth pic and am trying to imagine the scent. Here in South Africa the sun is moderating to a more autumn gold, but it is hot today – 32 degrees C (89 degrees Farenheit). At least our region has had good summer rains for which we are most grateful.

48. Dalo 2013 says:

There is nothing quite like nature introducing the arrival of spring once again ~ the song of the American Robins being one of my favorite (outside of the sunshine and warmer weather of course).