The Tuesday View August 9

August 9, 2016

August 9, 2016

This week is a fuller version of the same (compare to last week’s photo below). The abundance is remarkable. I have vases lined up all over the house!

At the center, to the right of tall blue globe thistle (Echinops ritro), the orange and red daylilies are pretty much done, but the lemon yellow daylilies (Hemerocallis ‘Hyperion’) is going strong and the spires of Astilbe taquettii are halfway done.

Clockwise from right in the above photo: Bright red Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ are almost  done, pink coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea), white flowering tobacco (Nicotiana alata), lamb’s ears (Stachys byzantina),  love-in-a-mist (Nigella damascena) are nearly all seed pods, more coneflower, orange calendula (C. officinalis) and white and pink flowering tobacco. Below are closer shots of the front of the border.

IMG_4033On the far left, a line of pink cosmos flank the calendula and dots of zinnias; on the right are red and pastel sweet peas (Lathyrus odoratus) which are being overrun with vines of the sky-blue, ivy-leaved morning glory (Ipomoea hederacea) which still haven’t bloomed; behind them, more cosmos and coneflowers, sunflowers (Helianthus annuus), and (hard to see) a patch of zinnias and dahlias.

At the rear of the garden, pink and white cleome (C. hassleriana) mix with flowering tobacco and a smattering of yellow calendula and sunflowers, which are heavy with seeds, rapidly disappearing into the beaks of goldfinches, chickadees and tufted titmice. I noticed a white-footed mouse on a leaf recently, but s/he seemed more interested in eating lemon balm seeds. The garden is abuzz with all sorts of pollinators, including hummingbirds and hawk moths. I love to stand in the middle and observe the hum of activity around me – pure heaven.

I’m linking with Cathy at Words and Herbs, joining participants taking weekly photos of the same garden over the course of the growing season to note its evolution.

Below are some of the previous views for comparison:

IMG_1267

August 9, 2016

IMG_2906

June 11, 2016

IMG_3156

June 28, 2016

July 19, 2016

July 19, 2016

IMG_3624

July 26, 2016

August 2, 2016

August 2, 2016

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to The Tuesday View August 9

1. smallsunnygarden says:

That is a lovely explosion of bloom, Eliza! I love your mix of perennials and annuals!

Still looking wonderful with all those coneflowers going on and on, and the sunflowers at the back giving a framework to that gorgeous flower bed! It’s interesting to note how the Lambs’ Ears have stood out for weeks on end with their silvery foliage. And your day lilies flower for much longer than mine. I suspect you have richer soil than me though. Thanks for joining me again Eliza! 🙂

Thank you, Cathy. I try to have early, mid- and late season daylilies to cover a longer bloom period. This fragrant yellow one is one of my favorites, a proven winner, as is the lamb’s ears. Foliage, like your euonymus, perform all season. 🙂

3. I think it is awesome you have vases lined up all over your home, Eliza. Bringing some of that beautiful love inside! 🙂

4. Your garden is definitely in the lush season, Eliza – absolutely gorgeous! Do you get the seasonal cicada song from the woods around you?

5. Steve says:

Love the border. The back drop of the trees looks great. Many of the plants I have in various parts of my gardens. 7.5 acres must be a hand full. I have just under one acre.!

Thank you, Steve. We maintain about an acre around the house, while Nature takes care of the rest, except for trails my spouse string mows. It does take a fair amount of time caring for so many gardens, etc. but when you love something, it is comes easier. 🙂 Thanks for your visit!

6. Lovely as always – how close are your morning glory? I saw my first one blooming yesterday on Choppy’s walk.

7. Heather says:

Incredible! great work 🙂

8. I love the way your planting has allowed groups of flowers to inter mingle with others, Eliza. A natural look is created. No wonder your Monday vases are so pretty!

9. Such abundant beauty!

10. Maria F. says:

It has culminated, beautiful!