Walk Details

IMG_2576

Here are a few details I wasn’t able to include in my last post, but were still worthy of another post of their own. This brave, intrepid little bumblebee was so cold, she was moving in slow motion. I had to admire her perseverance, collecting pollen as long as she was physically able.

IMG_2497Surrounded by a carpet of yellow, orange and rust-colored leaves, I was captivated by this mossy, lichen-encrusted rock outcropping accented with feathery plumes of Lady fern (Athyrium felix-femina). I would love this to be in my shade garden, but it was in the middle of the forest.IMG_2507A late-turning maple is a flame lighting up the forest. The ridge in the background looks to me like an horse’s back right about where the saddle goes.

IMG_2510‘Turkey Tail’ fungi (Trametes versicolor) was growing out of a split in the trunk of a beech tree. Velvety to the touch, they are quite common. A tea made from these mushrooms is said to boost immunity and it is being studied in particular to help cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

Below is a close-up of a delicate and lacy Hay-scented fern frond (Dennstaedtia punctiloba). In autumn they turn progressively paler becoming a ghostly white. I love to come upon large colonies of them carpeting the forest, they are so beautiful.IMG_2545

IMG_2551I must include a canopy shot or two of sugar maples nearly empty of leaves. How I love these trees! When I think of autumn color, I think of maples. As children, my sister and I used to rake and jump into big piles of the crisp, sweetly-scented leaves. When we tired, we’d bury ourselves underneath, resting and peeking out between the gaps to the tree and autumn sky above. Must be where this love was formed!IMG_2568Marking the end of the day like a sundial, this sunlit birch tree and post in a patch of lawn glow against the shadowed barn in the background.IMG_2567All of the above photos were taken at Bullitt Reservation, a property of The Trustees of Reservations, whose mission is to “preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts.”

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Walk Details

1. cindy knoke says:

Great photos, love the bumble and the fungi!

2. Maria F. says:

All shots are amazing. I like the dramatic perspective on shot #6, and of course, the bumble bee.

3. mk says:

Eliza, I particular like your last shot. The barn and birch really speak to me as metaphors.

4. Kina says:

So lovely! I look forward to having a copy of your book when you compile all your gorgeous photos. 😊

5. Enjoyed your post very much. I did not get out this year to walk in my nearby woods and the dogs are mad at me about that. I am hoping next year i will not have so much work and more hiking! So thank you for taking me on the virtual walk!

6. March Picker says:

Beautiful post that captures the essence of autumn!

7. The hay-scented fern, Eliza. I wonder if it is related to the ghost fern that is sold widely in nurseries? It looks similar. And that second shot of the boulder covered in moss and lichen is just my cup of tea. A lovely post.

Thanks, Barbara. Hay-scented and Ghost ferns are different. Ghost ferns (Athyrium ‘Ghost’) are a cultivar of Lady fern. They look very similar. Hay-scented are green until frost turns them pale, and ‘Ghost’ are pale silver all season long. Wild Lady ferns stay green pretty much until the snow falls. I think the ones on the mossy rock are lady ferns come to think of it!

8. twoscamps says:

The bumblebee and the barn and the birch….. It’s a magical and wonderful world! I loved reading about your Rembrance of being a child underneat a Pile of leaves . Made me smile and remember as well!

9. All of your photos are absolutely breathtaking!! I love that you have beautiful memories of you and your sister to hold and cherish forever. A sister is a beautiful blessing. I also love how mindful you are of the beauty of your surroundings. The little bumble bee is so cute! I have similar pictures of a bumble bee drinking out of a flower in the summer. I watched him all Summer and I miss him now! It’s so magical to see and it’s great to capture that magic in a photo!

I enjoyed this addition to your Walktober walk. Your photos are all so beautiful. The bee looks almost fuzzy, the way birds do when they plump up their feathers to protect themselves from the cold.

11. Heather says:

Great details, and it seems you are drawn to many of the same things I am, like the carpet of leaves and the mossy rocks.

12. I especially enjoyed the first canopy shot. I kept looking at it and I started to see it as a pond reflecting the trees. Nice illusion. 🙂

13. Having seen your last photos, I was shocked to come across a bumble bee on the first image! I was thinking that you were going to write about a walk you took this Spring. I love what you wrote about that little bumblebee 🙂

I was moved by her determination to go on, no matter how stiff with cold she was. It was inspirational, really. Giving up was not an option for her. Nature is a great teacher when we pause long enough to look deeply at the lessons provided. ❤

Lovely colours and sky! And that poor bee…

15. Robbie says:

That ridge does look like a horses back where the saddle goes—you are a creative soul:-)
    That touches my heart the photo of the bee struggling to gather the last bit of pollen. They are so precious. I noticed a monarch last week on a warm day( only one) so it surprised me a bit. I thought they had left.
    Turkey tail fungi-now that is interesting. I never heard of it- Thank you for sharing!We need to connect to the earth to heal. The answers are there, we just need to find them:-)