Weeds

Weeds

American goldfinches (and lots of birds) love all sorts of seeds! Consider leaving seed heads for the birds to forage. Coneflower (Echinacea), Tickseed (Coreopsis), Sunflower (Helianthus), Ox Eye Sunflower (Heliopsis), Thistle (Circium, Caduus) and Cosmos are just a few favored by our feathered friends.

image from YardMap

Image | This entry was posted in Country Gardening, Field Notes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Weeds

1. There are no weeds, just flowers that some people don’t like. I like them, so they are flowers to me.

2. dorannrule says:

There was a song that went, “where have all the flowers gone….” My song now is “where have all the birdies gone?” The seeds in my feeder used to please but suddenly there is literally no activity. Plenty of weeds around too.

Hmmm, either your visitors were migrants or someone sprayed something lethal nearby. I sincerely hope it is the former rather than the latter.
      Maybe take your feeders in, give them a good cleaning with 10% bleach solution just in case they harbor bacteria harmful to birds and try again setting them out in a few weeks. I’ll be interested to see what happens. Good luck!

3. twoscamps says:

This morning I watched several goldfinches foraging in our Russian sage. Most everything we do in our yard is for the birds!

That is great! I even keep a dead tree in the back yard for the birds, an old apple that is a perfect perch and station for hanging feeders. The woodpeckers and creepers ply the bark for insects. Folks might think it strange, but when I explain, it opens their minds to a different way of looking at the usefulness of snags. As long as it doesn’t threaten to fall on structures, wires or the road, I say leave it for the birds!

4. mk says:

I have 2 feeders for the sparrows and finches, and another nyjer-seed feeder for our lesser goldfinches. The regular feeders have lots of sunflower seeds, which produce many volunteer plants. After the sunflower gets shabby, I pull it up and leave it for whoever wants it. I’ve seen many guests (birds and squirrels) indulge in the sunflower blossom heads. It makes me feel kind of like a gardener!

5. Mike Bizeau says:

Eliza, great photo and thoughts. Wildflowers in my eye.

6. I grow sunflowers because I think they are beautiful and have the added benefit of watching Goldfinches enjoying the seeds!

So true! Brilliant shot.

8. Robbie says:

I am drying your lemon cuke seeds now:-) Won’t be long. LOVE this picture!!! I find golden finches so beautiful but trying to get close to them for a shot or even near them…. they are always jetting here and there:-) I love watching them this time of year, dangling from the sun flowers. I always leave a lot of plants standing ( cone, cosmos, etc) for them to eat as the season moves on….:-)

9. Rebecca says:

Dear Eliza, Thank you for liking my post. I hadn’t come across your blog before, but I love it. As you may have gathered, I, too, love nature, though I live across the world from you! I look forward to reading more about your rural life. All the best, Rebecca 🙂

10. The image and words had me smiling this a.m. 🙂