Super Bloom

IMG_1596Seeing California’s spring wildflowers has long been on my bucket list. With the long drought quenched by soaking rains the past few months, this year’s bloom promised to be a big one. I am most fortunate to have friends in SoCal willing to take me to see the show at Walker Canyon, Lake Elsinore and wow, what a mind-blowing event it was. The tiny people on the far ridge above give you an idea of how vast the coverage was, 180 degrees of mountain vistas covered with California poppies (Eschscholzia californica)Β and several other wildflowers.

Below is a slideshow to enjoy–

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

177 Responses to Super Bloom

1. I just saw a segment on the news this morning about the California poppies and how wonderful that you were able to see that amazing beauty on your trip! Stunning colors and photos and I loved your slideshow!πŸ™‚

2. Sue Vincent says:

Stunning!That rivals our heather!

3. incredible. I was down that way, not that long ago myself-but before the bloom. By the way, did you happen to see a ton of butterflies down there?

4. How wonderful. Beautiful photos!

5. tonytomeo says:

As spectacular as they are in that region, they used to be just as spectacular over a much larger region. Sadly, they are getting crowded out by invasive exotic specie. I can remember when the hills south of San Jose used to bloom like this.

6. Reblogged this on Another Picture On The Wall and commented:
    Here is another blog that I enjoy very much. Check out here recent post regarding the extraordinary bloom of poppies in Southern California.

7. What a stunning sight to behold.

Wow – how utterly gorgeous!

Disregard my question on your recent post. Wow!! Just wow!!!

10. susurrus says:

Ooooh! So glad to have a slideshow of this to enjoy. I saw the pictures from space, but it’s nice to see a bit (make that a lot) closer.

11. Pingback: Super Bloom ~ Eliza Waters | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

12. willowdot21 says:

Nature’s best dressed πŸ’œπŸ’œ

13. wonkywizard says:

Thanks to Sue and Eliza for sharing. A haiku to mark my appreciation:

varied colour bloom
    hills dress with floral patterns
    with breath holding skirts

fresh fragrance in air
    verdant vista, rolling hills
    intoxicated

Dr. Lim Keng Huat,, http://www.wonkywizard.wordpress.com

14. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    California wildflowers brought by the rains.

15. Thanks, Eliza and Sue for the beautiful pictures of wildflowers in California. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

16. Aziz ur Rehman says:

Breathtaking views…

17. Pingback: MALAYSIAN HAIKU/SENRYU ECHOES 440: SUPER BLOOM | wonkywizard

18. Alex says:

A big state with lots to see, drought or no drought. Many diverse eco systems in this state; mountains, desert, coastal rainforest, grasslands, etc.

19. Brian Skeys says:

I have long loved the California Poppy, although I have never see it in such wonderful quantity.

20. Kathy Lauren says:

So beautiful. I lived in San Raphael when I was in HS. California has so many beautiful places, such as this.

21. Holly G. says:

WOW!! What a spectacular view!! I’ve always been curious what it would be like to see this natural display of splendor! Seeing your photos almost made me feel like I was there. Thank you for that! ❀️

You must have been in awe standing there with wide open views of these wildflowers?

Thank you, Holly. It truly was an awesome 180 degree view of miles and miles of flowers. I only regret that the area has since suffered a lot of damage due to trampling, where folks left the road and went into the flowers. The damage will last for years. Sad, but many don’t understand just how fragile the habitat is.

22. Maria says:

Great images. What a great time to visit there!

23. You’re most welcome, Eliza. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

24. Eliza,amazing work.
    The wonders of God leve me speechless all time.
    Amazing photos capture .πŸ™‚πŸŒˆ