Delivering Love

IMG_0529According to ASPCA, “Each year, [in the USA] approximately 7.6 million animals enter animal shelters nationwide—and nearly 3 million don’t make it out.”

This sad statistic brings tears to my eyes. So many lives wasted, so much love lost. However, there are many who are tirelessly working to save as many of these animals as they can. One such organization is Legacy German Shepherd Rescue and More, who rescues animals out of kill shelters in the deep South, finds homes for them via the internet and transports them to the Northeast to awaiting families.

The success of spay/neuter education here has resulted in a demand for pets that exceeds available animals. Prospective adopters are rigorously screened, references checked by volunteers to ensure the match is a good one, before transport is arranged.

Rendezvous points are determined, dates and times are set and updated prior to arrival. Counting down the days until arrival is akin to a child awaiting Christmas– the anticipation is so exciting!

On the appointed day, we rose early to drive an hour and a half to meet the transport team. The van carrying bundles of LOVE arrives…

Names are called out, each excited family steps forward, squeals of joy, oohs and ahs, photos are taken, some shed tears of happiness.

Yeah, I was the one who cried. IMG_0542

This entry was posted in My Photos, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

117 Responses to Delivering Love

1. This is such a great cause! Thanks for sharing it. Tragic that so many animals are in need of loving homes especially when there are so many people in need of love!

2. What a beautiful photo of you Eliza.

3. pastpeter says:

Blessings on you and your new friend, Eliza!

4. Aaaah what a gorgeous little sweety and how wonderful to be able to give a cat/dog a wonderful house/life, after an unhappy start… isn’t it? Both my dogs are from a rescue organisation too. How did you name the kitten? Wish you lots of happiness and love together ❤

Thank you, Noortje. She is a rumpy Manx, who frisks like a rabbit, she might end up with the name ‘Bunny.’ 😉 We’ll see – my pets often ‘name’ themselves through their behavior or looks.

5. Treah says:

Oh, “Bunny” is here! You weren’t like a kid waiting for Xmas….you were a kid waiting for the Easter bunny! Can’t wait to meet her!

6. I always enjoy a good animal rescue post. It’s wonderful to see people making a difference in these animal’s lives. Congratulations on the success of your spay/neuter programs. That’s outstanding. Our local humane society is no-kill, and we have a number of private rescue programs as well. One of the significant programs this year is identifying the zip codes with the highest number of surrendered dogs, generally chihuahuas, so they can educate that community. I think education is key. Thanks for sharing your story. Your final photo is priceless. Hugs all around.

Thanks, Alys. I like the idea of zipcode-focused education – Education really makes a difference, along with offering low-cost spay/neutering for cash-strapped families. My ‘baby’ despite her youth, is already spayed.

• Yes! I’m stunned at the number of people who still don’t spay or neuter an animal, not to mention the number of breeders still out there. It’s discouraging. BUT, there are just as many people and organizations working hard to improve the life of all animals.

7. Alice Pratt says:

What a very fortunate little girl! ❤️ at first hug! Hunny Bunny! I’m sure Wren and your other Kitty will adjust! She looks very young! How ‘old’ is she? 3 months?

8. Alice Pratt says:

The statistics of the amount of animals who need to be euthanized is so horrible and really unacceptable that this happens on our Earth. Year, upon year, upon year. Many humans need to be much more responsible!

Agreed. It is partly a cultural thing and education helps, but resources are often short down South, where reproduction doesn’t slow down like it does here in the winter. Lots of fertile animals at large, many are strays.

9. In the pic you two are bookends! Great cause and happy for you.

What a wonderful operation! I’m happy to see you with the new addition to your family. She’s a beautiful girl. All my cats have been rescues as well. If her highness, Empress Pipig, and my sourpuss husband didn’t strenously object I’d add another one to my household too.

11. What a great organization! So happy for your new friend to have found you. 😊

12. janesmudgeegarden says:

What a darling kitten! Did you choose her specifically online by photo, or just say that you wanted a cat and wait for the surprise? We don’t have any pets now, having said goodbye to our dear black moggy. It never ceases to amaze me how often we still talk about him

Thank you, Jane. I’ve been searching for a Manx on the internet on and off since my special girl passed a year ago. This one seemed a go and she travelled a long way to get here.

13. Such a precious little face that looks so happy to be home.🙂 There also might be a mischievous look and she may find your beautiful vases fascinating.🙂 They bring so much joy and love and thank you for sharing the special day and photo.🙂

Thank you. You have read her look very well. 😉 She is so ALERT and ACTIVE – boy, are we in for it. 😉 I’ve been ‘kitten-proofing’ the house, but all bets are off once she is big enough to leap up on things. :O

14. tippysmom2 says:

What a great organization. Do you volunteer for them? Glad you adopted a new member of the family. She’s precious.

Thank you. I volunteered for a while at our local animal shelter a couple years ago, but you’d be surprised how many sign up. With the fluctuation in animals, I was often not needed. I’m sure that is not the case most places.

15. Alice Pratt says:

And she needs an adjusted Birthday…(“Summer” would be a good name!)

16. Lovely new kitty. My parents had a very similar Manx cat they adored Josephine, and they forevermore looked for tailless cats! Welome Bunny and I cried,too.

17. derrycats says:

Adorable!! May you have a fabulous life together.

18. Great cause with beautiful people like you supporting them Eliza 👍🌈💚

19. Vicki says:

Such a gorgeous little kitten and I would be just as enchanted by a pet and the knowledge I had saved a wee soul from death.

Rescue organisations like the one you mentioned need all our support and where possible, donations.

The Landlord of the rental property I live in doesn’t allow pets, so I can’t offer an animal a home.

20. Lana says:

What a lovely cat you have! So gorgeous. God bless all those working on behalf of the voiceless x

Aah, what a sweet little pussy cat! So glad you could help this organization and give an animal a home. Our dog came from a rescue centre too, and we were given an unannounced spot check a few weeks after taking her in, but these centres are far too few and far between here and overstretched as well.

22. Brian Skeys says:

I think that one has fell on its feet!

23. Lovely. Many happy years together!

24. Val Boyko says:

Thank you for sharing the love. You and kitty look very happy together 💕

25. What a wonderful, heart opening post! Happy tears as I read it…and the picture of you and your new baby is a lovely ending. Thank you! 🐾💕

26. Maria says:

What beautiful post Eliza. The images show that it IS possible to care for these animals, and that it’s even more emotionally rewarding doing so.

27. Wonderful outcomes! Enjoy your new addition Eliza!

28. such great work! I have a German Shepherd myself, thanks for helping our best friends 🙂

29. AmyRose🌹 says:

Tears in my eyes, Eliza. You know how I feel about animals. And you got a kitten!!! What a beautiful picture of Love! 💞🐾💞

Ahhhhh, she is adorable.

31. spanishwoods says:

You know what Eliza, this is exactly what I needed to read today!! So very happy for you and for your tiny kitty. That face!! 🙂

32. Yay!!! So exciting!! And congrats on bringing home the little cutie!

Awww – how adorable.

34. naturebackin says:

Totally heartwarming Eliza. Brought tears to my eyes. Enjoy her kittenhood that passes by surprisingly quickly in retrospect.

Awwwww. I can’t wait to rescue a furry one come February!!!

I love this so much Eliza, especially that last photo! ❤ ❤ ❤

37. Joanna says:

Oh what a cute, sweet, darling kitten!!! What did you name him/her?

38. NorCal Zen says:

Awe ❤ all the best to you and your new friend. All the animals I currently have, my German Shepherd, and my two horses, are rescues (from local smaller non-profits.) I can see the love in your photos ❤

39. Look at those sweet babies!! Love this! What a sweet and beautiful post. You are glowing 🙂

40. Bela Johnson says:

Bless your heart, Eliza. We have rescued so many animals over the years. And countless more need our compassionate help. Aloha.

41. Pets bring so much happiness to our lives. So glad to see you both have a new and beautiful friend!

42. Jane Lurie says:

Aw, great post, Eliza. Congrats on your adorable new family member!

43. What splendid photo of you and your new companion!

44. A truly special day for pets and their new families 💞

45. I’m seeing a lot of people walking around with intact dogs lately. In most cases I think this is very irresponsible, especially because the reluctance to neuter their dogs often goes hand in hand with their owning a powerful breed. Those heartbreaking numbers won’t change until people take responsibility for the reproductive health of their pets. I know I’m preaching to the choir here. I love the picture of you with the kitten~so sweet!

46. That’s amazing 😊😊love is the ultimate thing every creature in the world is searching.

47. What a beautiful portrait of you and your new kitten… Bunny? I hope you will enjoy many happy years together. What a little beauty! It warms my heart to see these beautiful animals finding loving homes ❤ ❤ ❤

48. This feed is so informative and educating as well. Some effort like this has to take place every now and then everywhere in the world, to make it a better place to stay … loved ya feed 🙂

49. This literally brought tears to my eyes! Bless your heart, and I hope that cute bundle of joy brings more than just happiness to your and your family.