Wordless Wednesday

River Ice

River Ice

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to Wordless Wednesday

This is so … so … glacial! Cool shot!

2. Christina says:

Great shot Eliza, I can’t complete with that much ice!

3. naturebackin says:

Great depth to the photo. The ice seems to have more than three dimensions!

4. neihtn2012 says:

No word needed. It’s still cold as we finish February.

5. Lisa Orchard says:

Awesome shot! Perfect for February. We’re still cold, but things are melting!

6. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

7. I can’t quite figure it out — I know it’s ice but at the same time it looks like an angry snake or eel head opening its mouth…

8. Alice Pratt says:

To me it looks like a Giant looking upon a frozen lake with skaters… a strip of woods in the back and rocks on the right.

9. Laurie Graves says:

Wowsah! As we would say in Maine, that is some ice.

10. Almost expecting to see a Polar Bear! Great photo.

11. dorannrule says:

Looks like a big fearsome fish…fangs and all.

That’s a great photo Eliza! Beautiful and fascinating too. We have ice on our open water too, but not as clear and pretty as that!

13. Awesome shot, Eliza! Wow!

A wonderful picture – way out of my experience!

15. albert says:

Photographs can tell, but also evoke, stories. I think the black background here helps the ice to do both. The longer I look, the more I seem to hear.

I see what looks like a forest of trees floating on clouds, all encased in ice.

That is pretty cool!

18. Amazing 💚💕

19. tippysmom2 says:

Wow. That’s some thick ice! Did the river freeze completely over? Great picture. I think it looks like the toe of a shoe. Cinderella’s slipper, perhaps.

Being a fast-moving river, it rarely freezes across, but this year it did, up to 10″ in places. The bitter cold lasted for weeks, we were rather miserable up here!
      Thanks for sharing your vision, too. 🙂

• tippysmom2 says:

Sounds like it was really, really cold. It was colder than usual here in Jan too, but has been unusually warm in Feb. Our trees are blooming, like it’s spring. I’m afraid we’ll have some more hard freezes that will kill everything. 😦

I know, that is my worry every year when it gets warm early and things break dormancy. Two years ago the peach blossoms were out and there was a hard frost, so the orchards that year had no peaches to sell. My favorite summer fruit, too! 😦

• tippysmom2 says:

😦 I’m afraid that may happen here this year.

Think warm temps, warm temps, warm… 😉

• tippysmom2 says:

I’m doing my best. They are calling for low 20’s this weekend. Maybe it won’t last long enough to kill everything that has bloomed out. Fingers crossed.

20. Peter says:

Love it! I saw the head of a fish, tooth-filled mouth open.

21. I can imagine a mountain range against an icy shoreline. It’s a beautiful shot.

22. Clever composition, that piece of ice is presenting a lot of information about what’s going on inside and outside the ice!

23. Brian Skeys says:

Fantastic picture Eliza.

24. Beautiful shot!🙂 I love how you captured the contrast of the ice and water and the reflections around the edges.🙂 Our ice is pretty thin here and I actually thought everything would melt before our winter storm arrives today.😥

25. I really like how you captured so many different looks of ice in just one shot. And to think, there are people in the world who only know ice as something in a drink…

26. Christy B says:

I love the details you picked up on the ice surface!

27. Robbie says:

wordless but not endless-LOL…spring is coming!

28. NorCal Zen says:

No words needed! That is a magnificent photo.!

29. Maria says:

Amazing that this ice comes from a river. What a sculpture!

30. Like you, nature figures prominently in our lives. Stunning capture!