Snow Day

IMG_0155When I was a kid, nothing thrilled us more than the words, ‘Snow Day.’ To my recollection, there weren’t that many, as it had to be a big storm to cancel school, not like today when even a couple inches could result in the day being called.

We gathered around, eagerly listening to the local radio station announcing cancellations, hoping the day would be called. If it wasn’t, we grudgingly had to prepare to meet the bus. If school was cancelled, there was a whoop of delight and either we would head back to bed or prepare for a day of sledding, snowman building and snow angel creating before returning wet and bedraggled to enjoy a warming cup of soup or hot cocoa.

These days, I don’t have to catch a bus or drive to a job, so I can hum the song, “Let it Snow” as I gaze out at the accumulating inches while enjoying a cup of tea. Shoveling will have to be done at the end of the storm, but until that time comes, we’ll enjoy a snowshoe walk in this winter wonderland to enjoy the silence and beauty a blanket of snow brings.IMG_0152WPC: Silence

This entry was posted in Country Living, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

129 Responses to Snow Day

1. Brrr, how are you faring? Enough soup? I just made stew, we are cold!

2. My daughter is heading off to Canada today and so, she will also enjoy this beautiful snow filled space! Lovely captures Eliza ⛄️❄️

3. Pingback: Snow Day – The Militant Negroβ„’

4. tippysmom2 says:

Beautiful pictures! I just love it when the snow lays on everything, making it all new and quiet. I still know lots of people who anticipate snow days and even do things like wear their coats wrong side out and put ice cubes in the toilet to help bring it on. Me, most of the time I don’t HAVE to go anywhere anymore either, so I just enjoy it, like it sounds like you do.

5. tonytomeo says:

I never experienced a ‘snow day’, but some of the schools got an ‘earthquake day’ because buildings on campus were damaged. My crew got the day off too because I did not want them coming in until all the spilled chemicals were cleaned up. There is nothing pretty about an ‘earthquake day’ though.

6. Trini Lind says:

These photos are just gorgeous, Eliza!! ❀️❄️❀️❄️❀️. Magical!! In Norway there are no snow days, then we wouldn’t have school the whole winter πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„. In fact, schools in Norway never close due to weather. The only thing we have is that they might allow the kids to stay inside during recess if it is really really bad weather, like storm and pouring rain. But it has to be really bad. They used to put a little paper umbrella up in the window of the head mistress’ office in my school, that meant we could stay inside, but it happened extremely rarely! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

7. A wonderful series of photos! Very evocative…

8. Gorgeous photos and wonderful trip down memory lane to those great childhood snow days! I still love being out in the snow and I hope you had a lovely snowshoe walk.πŸ™‚

9. Jane Lurie says:

What a beautiful wintry set, Eliza. That red barn with the snowy branches is fantastic! Brought me back to waiting for the siren to sound that school was closed. πŸ™‚

10. naturebackin says:

I also particularly like the first pic. The snow makes the tree look to be etched . Enjoy the snow-born quiet and beauty. Such snow really is another country for me!

11. Bela Johnson says:

We have our own silence here. AND I do miss that snow blanket middle of the woods silence. So beautiful.

12. jennymarie4 says:

What gorgeous photos! I live in a warm climate, so I love to look at snowy pictures πŸ™‚

So incredibly beautiful!

14. Rebecca says:

What beautiful photos, Eliza. I know you struggle with the winter season, but you have captured the frozen beauty of winter on your doorstep in its most beautiful form πŸ™‚ x

Beautiful! Have a lovely day in the snow Eliza!

16. So peaceful and fairy tale like!

17. We get snow so rarely these days, but I love the silence that happens when the world stops moving as a result and that strange reflected light effect at night. Brilliant photos. I like the illuminated tree in the last. Meanwhile, keep safe and warm!

18. Marvellous images, Eliza. For composition, I pick out the first and last and the wheels

19. Christina says:

So, so beautiful. Fresh snow is magical! Thank you for sharing the beautiful images.

20. Pingback: Silence – Street Light – What's (in) the picture?

21. Alice Pratt says:

Such beautiful, ‘New-England-y’ scenes. Are those meant to be Blue Bird houses? I remember, in Wellesley, MA, that the street lights would go on, if there was a snow day. Saw a Red Fox, in the snow, in our back yard and running in the woods a few days ago….

Thank you, Alice. Yes, they are bluebird houses, but tree swallows also use them. This field also hosts bobolinks and the males will use the boxes to claim territory. A lovely burbling song I love to hear.
      Street lights on, now that is a first!
      The red fox in your yard must have been a fun sight. They adapt well to humans, along with the coyotes.

22. Lovely photos especially the white against the beautiful red barn. πŸ™‚

23. Mike Bizeau says:

Snow days are still a much anticipated favorite and something that seem to be even less frequent than they were as a kid. You description to listening to to radio and waiting with much anticipation is something I fondly remember and when a neighboring city canceled and your school did not really got a kid questioning the system.

Snow days a a welcome way to slow down and enjoy life to the fullest.

Thanks for a wonderful reminder.

24. Val Boyko says:

Great memories … and lovely captures Eliza πŸ’• This brought back some fun times for me too!

You make it seem dreamy Eliza! I, too, have fond memories of snow days which were rare – usually ended up as a 1 hour delay. It may be cold here but so far it has not snowed and the palm trees seem to handle the cold quite well.

26. Laurie Graves says:

Beautiful New England winter pictures. I don’t remember having snow days as a child, but as we lived in a large rural community, we must have had them. I think snow is beautiful, and even though creaky knees curtail outside activities, winter is a time of year I love. The light combined with the snow can’t be beat, and I don’t mind cozy inside time. Plenty to do, and I enjoy the quiet.

Beautiful snowy photos Eliza

28. Nice winter pics…and I do also remember the feeling of snow days though as you said they weren’t very frequent. (Suzanne)

Thank you, Suzanne. I remember even in the 80s being chastised by my boss for being a few minutes late to work on a snowy day. The buses were all slow. He told me to watch the forecast and get up earlier to make sure I was there on time! Times have changed. πŸ˜‰

29. Agreed – probably just nostalgia, but it did seem that our snow days were few and far between. Snow days are different now. Yes, I get off work, and it’s nice. But, I won’t feel as sad when the snow melts away. And that’s okay – each day is ephemeral in its own way, and I’m learning to allow it to pass, to make space for what comes next…

Off to brew some tea. Thank you for sharing the lovely photos.

30. Wonderful post and photos Eliza. I remember those happy snow days too😊

31. myplaidheart says:

Beautiful images. I can almost hear the stillness. For many years I was a teacher and I think I got just as excited as the children when school would get canceled. πŸ™‚

32. Pingback: WPC: Silence | Lillie-Put

It is beautiful, Eliza. And I can almost imagine the blessed quiet.

34. Pete Hillman says:

Wonderful images, Eliza! I remember having to walk through snowdrifts to school when I wa s a kid here. Today a couple of inches makes the world come to a stop.

Thank you, Pete. It seems that there was more snow when we were little, too. I remember the road grader going by and pushing the banks back into huge mountains, but I suppose when you’re ‘vertically challenged,’ even 6 ft. is high!

35. arlingwoman says:

That lattice of snow-covered branches is the quintessential snow day shot. I love when it snows like that. I can remember snow days, too and listening to learn whether we’d have to go to school. There’s something nice about snugging in and cooking and being warm and not really having to do anything. I particularly enjoyed some of the scenes where you’ve taken photos in other seasons. Stay warm and enjoy!

36. dorannrule says:

I love the first photo and that vivid contrast of the snow against red. I have no memories of snow days since I grew up in Fla. Now living “up north” in Virginia I can enjoy snow days anyway.

37. Brian Skeys says:

Our grandchildren are always praying for enough snow to fall so they can have the day off to go sledging. Like you I am please not having to go out to work when it’s cold.

38. I always loved a good snow day as a kid – though we didn’t get very many. Usually, if we got a winter day off, it was because it was so frigid, no one wanted kids outside waiting for buses (note: it never stopped us from grabbing our sleds and heading to our favorite sledding hills – which happened to be at school). Even a Cold Day was rare, though – usually if it was frigid, we had to go to school but had an “Icicle Day,” where we couldn’t go outside for recess.

39. How lovely to be able to just relax and enjoy it… I am so enjoying the time I have at the moment to enjoy whats happening in my little world. I love snow it looks amazing so beautiful and fresh.

40. MK says:

That 1st image is so striking! The deep dark red against white. I suppose there’s a reason why barns are red, but I sure have no clue. I’d like to think that it’s because they make such a beautiful winter scene!

41. Such a beautiful sight but brrr I don’t like the cold

42. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

Thanks for the memories, Eliza. I remember kneeling at the window with my best friend, Molly, on a Sunday night, having spent the weekend at her house – willing the flakes to fall. We so wanted one more day to play together. Sledding, snow people building, following creeks in our galoshes, hot chocolate…..such fun.
    I wish we would get some snow here. We should be under several feet of snow. We got six inches the first week of October, and haven’t had any since. Looks like a scary fire season. Let it snow!
    Beautiful snowy pictures!

43. NorCal Zen says:

The contrats in that first photo, with the red barn and the snow is absolutely beautiful. I love photographing barns, especially older ones.

44. natalyadrian says:

Wonderful pics, Eliza! And where’s Mr Snowman?

45. Chloris says:

It is beautiful but I prefer to look at pictures of it rather than the real thing. It snowed here today.

Is snow a rare thing where you are? I grew up with long winters, so I guess I just take it in stride. By March, I am ready for it to all melt away.

• Chloris says:

We don’t get much snow here in Suffolk and it rarely lasts for more than a few days. Where I grew up in the hills in the north of England we used to get quite a lot but schools never closed, we were hardier in those days. Now schools close after a few flakes of snow.

I think it is our litigious society. No one wants to be sued. We’ve become less hardy for sure.

Ooo… Aah… So lovely! ❀

47. I grew up in a warm country, so – no such luck as ‘snow day’ but I remember snow days when my children were in school and I always recall those days fondly. You took some lovely photos, Eliza.

48. Maria says:

Great shots and memory recollections!