The Tuesday View September 19

September 19, 2017

Triggered by cooler than normal temperatures in August and early September, the garden is heading towards dormancy as the trees behind it attest.

Ipomoea tricolor ‘Heavenly Blue’

The tall Sunflowers along the back have gone to seed with a few Morning Glories clambering up them, taking advantage of their height. Ipomoea tricolor ‘Heavenly Blue’ has finally joined I. purpurea ‘Grandpa Ott’ in blossoming. I was beginning to wonder if it ever would bloom!

Cosmos ‘Sensation’

To the left, Helianthus annuus ‘Lemon Queen,’ ‘Italian White’ and ‘Pro-cut’ continue to provide flowers for vases. To the right, a clump of pink self-sown Cosmos ‘Sensation’ put out the last of its flowers. I’ve left the seed for the goldfinches and next year’s seedlings. Orange and yellow Calendula officinalis and white Nicotiana alata are scattered about, giving the garden some lasting color, along with a clump of Zinnia elegans ‘Cactus’ and several ‘Mixed Sprite.’

Far left, Holy Basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum) is on its third harvest, I hope with one to go before frost, and Orca beans (Phaseolus vulgaris), soon will be picked for drying.

Two mounds of purple Heart-leaved Asters (Symphyotrichum cordifolium), far left rear and in the middle, have been a delight. I pruned them back in June, which has resulted in denser, less floppy stems. Purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) has faded to mauve, its prickly heads full of seeds. I need to deadhead them soon before they self-sow all over. I leave the cut heads in the field for the birds. If they self-sow there, all the better. White and pink Phlox paniculata are about done.

Along the front, Lamb’s Ears (Stachys byzantina), a few hot pink Zinnia angustifolia x elegans ‘Double Cherry Profusion,’ Japanese Blood Grass (Imperata cylindrica) surrounded by Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella damascena) seed heads and a few more clumps of white Nicotiana at the end.

Dahlia ‘Voodoo’

Worthy of mention, now in its second season, Dahlia ‘Voodoo’ is putting on a spectacular show in a bed to the left of the main garden. Because of its success, I will have extra tubers to share with a few admirers.

Thanks to Cathy at Words and Herbs for hosting The Tuesday View, a meme showing the view of one or more of our gardens over the course of a growing season. Visit to see links to other garden views from around the world.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to The Tuesday View September 19

1. Alice Pratt says:

The lighting must have been perfect…because your photos are awesome!

2. I’ll take some of that voodoo. Garden looks great!!

3. Jet Eliot says:

Your garden is very alive, Eliza, so beautiful. Nice that you share the seeds with the birds. Love the color of the Voodoo Dahlia. Enjoyed this post–

4. The blue morning glories are so pretty, Eliza.

Your gardening efforts are an inspiration. We have enjoyed our first spring rain and the emergence of tender seedlings – a lot to look forward to.

6. Brian Skeys says:

I have a similar aster to this one that flops all over its neighbours, I should have also given it the Chelsea Chop. D. Voodoo looks very good, I shall have look out for some tubers next spring to go with Pelargonium Voodoo.

7. Anca Tîrcă says:

Your corner looks great at this time of the year with so many fall beauties!

8. Chloris says:

Your late September view is gorgeous. How wonderful to have zinnias seeding about, you can never have too many zinnias.

9. Christina says:

Your view is looking superb Eliza. If this is nearly the end, it is going out with a great finale!

You are still getting lots of colour Eliza. We had an early start to season and an early coming to an end. I still have cone flower and cosmos but definitely need more autumn colour. I recently got an aster, but it is not as delicate as yours. And have planted a few more seeds for next autumn but nothing showing yet!

Asters really are wonderful as a year end plant. I adore the delicate, small-flowered ones the best. I have many wild varieties on the property. I don’t understand why this variety (S. cordifolium) is not cultivated more widely, it is stellar.

So much color, and it looks so lush and full. I think I love this view most of all now, with the autumn colors starting to show. 🙂

12. Archita says:

Such a joyful world you have created. Wonderful photographs

It still all looks gorgeous Eliza! The dahlia is a lovely colour, and those asters are little darlings! Do you dry your basil for tea, or do you use it in cooking? I had never heard of Orca beans before, so I looked them up – we just had cannellini beans for dinner and the orca look similar, but perhaps larger. I must try and grow beans one year too. Thanks for joining me again, and happy gardening!

Thank you, Cathy. The holy basil is for tea. I grew orca beans last year for their unique look and barely had enough for a meal and seed for the current year. But this year the yield will be greater. Good for soup, they are a bit bigger than a navy bean.

14. Brenda says:

I love the idea of morning glories climbing the sunflower stalks. I may try that next year.

If your garden is on its way out, at least it’s going out with a bang, Eliza! Your photo has me missing the morning glories I grew for a time in my former garden but, without your kind of winter to keep the plants under control, I won’t be planting morning glories again here (at least not in the ground).

16. Pete Hillman says:

You have a beautiful garden, Eliza! Such a wonderful variety of flowers. Great pictures! 🙂

17. BEAUTIFUL GARDEN AND PHOTOS! I love the Zinnias in the 4th photo. What variety are they?​

18. Sally says:

Hi Eliza, It’s true, Fall is making an entrance. Summer flew by! You still have some lovely blooms to enjoy…..Thanks for sharing!

19. You have a beautiful garden, still lots to enjoy at this time of year.

20. Love your garden view and the photos!🙂

Such pretty flowers!

22. Still pretty, even as winter shows its early face – we were at Rocky Mountain National Park, and they had snow on the road over the mountains one day while we were there (thankfully, not the day we were driving over!).

23. MK says:

I love your garden because it’s a cornucopia, and just for the sake of beauty! You go girl!

24. It looks glorious and productive. Interesting to hear that you chopped the asters back in June to prevent flopping. I shall try to remember to do that too next year!

25. bittster says:

Looks great, even if it has taken a turn towards autumn. I like that we get the full view this week with veggie section included, it all looks so productive!
    I love the colors you put together for the zinnia vases. So soft yet bright, I feel like they’re always cheerful

Thank you, Frank. The garden is getting on, though with this renewal of summer temps, it feels like we could go on for a while yet. I certainly hope so.
      The zinnias are perfect right now for migrating Monarchs, of which I’m seeing a few every day. It is heartening, after years of seeing none!

26. D. says: