Eclipsed

IMG_8886Millions of Americans witnessed yesterday’s solar eclipse, either through special glasses, livestreamed online or through pinhole devices. Where I live, we were predicted to have only 60% totality, so I wasn’t all that hyped. However, out of curiosity, I created a pinhole in a piece of paper and with it casting a shadow on another piece of paper, went outside from time to time to view the eclipse. Underwhelming, at best.

Inside, I worked on my laptop in between checking outside. Around the 2:45 p.m. peak, I glanced down and saw the above. My closed blinds created the perfect pinhole viewer!

I then went into my sunspace, which has a trellis with vines growing on it to reduce heat buildup, and saw in the shadows on the tiled floor many little crescents. I was delighted! Who needs those special glasses anyway?

IMG_8864

Special thanks to Val for sharing Evolutionary Mystic’s post where I learned to look for these natural effects that occur during eclipses.

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Eclipsed

1. That is pretty funny – you had your own light show. πŸ™‚

2. Alice Pratt says:

Interesting! I thought you were going to write that the flowers were going to be taking a nap!

3. Alice Pratt says:

Morning glories…but what is the orange plant?

4. David says:

Wow, pretty much a perfect example of serendipity.

5. MK says:

Very very cool! Thanks for those photos!
    I had been going back & forth about whether or not to try to go somewhere to see the eclipse. Oregon maybe, since it’s in my timezone. But hotel rooms were running $850 for the equivalent of the Bates Motel. Add airfare, meals, petsitting, etc and I figured it’d be about $1000 per person to venture up there. So I checked out St Louis. No dice. Checked out RV rentals. No dice.
    When I awoke on Eclipse Day, it was overcast here. I congratulated myself for not spending the $$$ to travel. I mean, what if it’s overcast wherever I decided to venture out to? From reading Gunta’s blog, her home is smack under the eclipse path, but the sky itself was eclipsed there due to smoke from forest fires.
    So I’m glad I actually know someone who got to see something. And quite a something you saw!

Thank you! My thoughts ran the same way…it seemed crazy to spend that much for a couple hour event, where there were no guarantees it wouldn’t be clouded over. As it was, we had a few light clouds pass over at totality, but I managed to get these shots. I guess it works to keep ones expectations low. πŸ˜‰

6. Wow, great captures! What a wonderful way to experience the eclipse!

7. Jim R says:

I really like those many tiny eclipses. We took a colander to make some. It was took cloudy and hazy to make any clear ones.

Totally cool! Alison at Bonney Lassie (Washington state) shared some neat shadows too. Unimpressed with our pin-hole viewer, I took garden photos at the point of maximum coverage here (69% eclipse) but only picked up broad impressions of the impact, manifested in deep, sharp shadows, but nothing like those you and Alison picked up.

9. So delightful to see pics of the eclipse that are unusual!

I love those little crescent shadows and am glad you got some excitement from the eclipse in the end! We had a partial eclipse a couple of springs ago and nobody told us to look at shadows, but I did notice some of my tulips closed up!

11. jenanita01 says:

Lovely post, Eliza… and I love your trellis! Such a brilliant idea!

Love this!! That’s how I watched the eclipse, too. I wasn’t particularly hyped either, but did enjoy the shadow play. πŸ™‚

13. bittster says:

Cool. We watched the partial take place here as well and I wish I had enough sense to go out and look at the shadows. We were always out in the open!

14. Rita Pichette says:

Very cool! The best things in life are those little surprises!

15. That is fascinating. Gardeners deserve their own light show.

16. It was underwhelming here as well (and we had something like 86% coverage) – I guess I’ll just have to go searching for the totality next time in the hopes I understand what everyone was so excited about.

17. Christy B says:

These are the most unique photos of the eclipse that I’ve seen πŸ™‚

18. arlingwoman says:

I love those little crescents. What I noticed (yes, the pinhole thing was underwhelming) was that the cicadas started singing. I guess they thought it was late afternoon…

19. Love the photos of the eclipse shadows and the trellis is beautiful.πŸ™‚

20. Peter/Outlaw says:

I found the shadows the most delightful part of the eclipse as well. Okay, the quality of the light was pretty interesting too. (95% here)

21. Robbie says:

Good Morning Eliza!!! Now that is cool:-) As always your paradise is beautiful.

I don’t know what impresses me more, your light show or your sun space plantings!

23. Brian Skeys says:

I agree with Kathy above, are the Blue Flowers Morning Glory?

Wow – what a beautiful light/moon show!

25. Jet Eliot says:

Fantastic and unique solar eclipse viewing, Eliza — really fun. I love shadow play….

26. naturebackin says:

How amazing those tiny eclipses in repeat. I like your sunscreen too.

27. daisymae2017 says:

Beautiful Pictures. I’ve got some questions for you. You did a guest post on HAPPINESS BETWEEN TAILS BY DA-AL and there was a picture of a bush with butterflies on it. Was it a Butterfly Bush? If it was, what is your secret to get it to grow? We have a Butterfly Bush but it’s not growing or doing well.

28. You have such a creative mind—great idea with wonderful results, Eliza!