In A Vase On Monday – Ephemeral

In A Vase on Monday – Ephemeral

Our wild daylilies (Hemerocallis fulva) begin to bloom without fail during the first week of July every year. This year’s abundant rain has produced a bumper crop.

Although their blooms last only a day, I still like to make arrangements with them. Not all buds will flower, but many of the larger ones will. While I do need to trim the arrangement daily, it is worth it.

White mounds of Oakleaf hydrangea (H. quercifolia) blossoms and a raceme of Hosta ‘Frances Williams’ provide bulk, while arching stems of Coral Penstemon (P. barbatus) provide accent.

Daisy Fleabane (Erigeron annuus) is filler and foliage is Baptisia and Patrinia.

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In the Garden, who hosts a weekly meme to showcase arrangements created from our gardens. Wander over to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging this week.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – Ephemeral

1. Eliza – that is such a beautiful summer bouquet!

2. Orange can be a tricky colour and that looks great.

3. So pretty 🌸🏡💚

4. jenanita01 says:

Such a glorious collection!

5. stevetanham says:

Beautiful combination of colours!

Love this one Eliza! It has a wildness to it. I still my Oakleaf ): Hydrangea, sniff. May she rest in peace.

Thank you, Kathy. Time for you to get a new oak leaf hydrangea! Mine struggled for years and then suddenly it began to thrive, this year is the best it has ever looked, blooming like crazy. (Maybe the upside of warmer winters?)

7. Val Boyko says:

Using flowers that only last a short time, makes it even more special 💛

8. Laurie Graves says:

Wonderful, as always.

9. Alice Pratt says:

What a happy and refreshing bouquet!

Thank you, Alice. Good news, I saw my first monarch this morning! Let’s hope it finds a mate and lays hundreds of eggs! 🙂

• Alice Pratt says:

That’s awesome! Must have made you so happy! I have at least a hundred Milkweeds, lost 10, blossoms were so top heavy from the rain. It seems that some don’t flower…are there male & female plants? My daughter was so excited, 4 days ago they discovered about 1 dozen Black Swallow Tail eggs on Fennel, that I gave her 5 (??) years ago….one hatched, yesterday. They put such good soil & compost in the garden that her fennel is more than 6 feet tall & they love the re-seeding & use the seeds, when they make venison sausage.

I was definitely doing a happy dance! 😉
        Hope you get some for your plants and what a legacy that your fennel continues to feed swallowtails season after season.

10. LINDA from EACH LITTLE WORLD says:

The front yards of a number of houses on one side of our street all slope down to the street and a group of neighbors have planted their banks withs daylilies. It is a fabulous display. I often use them in bouquets as well. They add such color and a different shape.

11. Perfect combo! Reminds me of a bouquet made long ago, with ditch lilies and Queen Ann’s lace, when Tim took me for a ride through the mountains when we were first dating.

12. Lovely, as always – though my day lilies seem to be on their own schedule. None are blooming, though they look like they are about to burst any day now. They’re out all around us. I’m just thinking this means we’ll still have lilies when everyone else doesn’t!

The day lilies are lovely Eliza! I can see why you make the effort to bring some indoors and keep them trimmed. 🙂

14. mithriluna says:

Wow, what a gorgeous bouquet. Beautiful color combination. Different kinds of penstemon is my new favorite flower added to my garden this year. We fell in love with them when we saw different wild versions in Arizona.

It’s a wonderful combination, Eliza. Fleeting as the blooms may be, daylilies deserve to be used as focal points in vases more often!

The bright orange of the lily is such a perfect compliment to the whites and greens. Just lovely.

17. Patsi says:

Oh WOW ! Not sure why but my heart jumped a beat when I saw that arrangement .Simply beautiful

18. MK says:

Lovely arrangement. I particularly like the Oakleaf hydrangea. The shape reminds me of a “Christmas tree” I saw one December at William Randolph Hearst’s mansion/home in central California. They had a wire form in the shape of a tall Christmas tree, with round spaces to drop in potted poinsettia. Voila… a giant red Christmas tree. It was striking. So… I really like that shape in your hydrangea.

19. Anca Tîrcă says:

A fesh, beautiful arrangement, thanks, Eliza!

20. I love the colors you chose here. They all contrast nicely and thus, stand out.

21. Love it! The vase speaks to me of summer. I love those Daylilies and understand why you love having them around. My grandmother referred to them as Ditch Lilies and the proper common name in the south is Common Orange Daylily.

Thanks, Amelia. They are very common, grow just about anywhere, but deserve more than a passing glance. So many gardeners dismiss them, but I find their centers quite beautiful.

Your header picture could so easily have been taken in the UK, Eliza – there any fields in our part of Middle England like this at the moment. Your day lilies look lovely – mine here have sulked since being divided and I haven’t had any flowers for a few years. A bunch of them would be lovely, so I am enjoying yours instead – thanks for sharing 🙂

Thank you, Cathy. Hay fields always remind me of sultry summer days. My daylilies are very abundant this year, lining the driveway in a swath of orange. They were planted by the former owner and have increased greatly, which I don’t mind at all.

23. The wild or native day lilies don’t get the respect they deserve. Each year, they come back like a faithful friend. I LOVE your arrangement. I know lots of gardeners who toss them, but I have them lining the edge of the property. I can look out about any window and see them blooming. 🙂

24. This is just a stunning arrangement…I adore the hydrangea and oh those wild daylilies are perfection!

Gorgeous! I love the wildness look of this one. 🙂

26. Christy B says:

The blooms last only a day but they are magnificent! Beautiful arrangement 🙂

27. arlingwoman says:

Just the right amount of white and greenery keep this summery and cool. That coral penstemon is beautiful, as well. This is a lovely lush bouquet…

28. Annette says:

Gorgeous bouquet, Eliza, so lush and joyful. We have lots of H. fulva here and they’re actually the hems with the best drought-resistance. Flowering is long over here though but I shall combine mine with Hydrangea next year 🙂

29. Brenda says:

I love the hay field in your header. It looks very much like one right down the street from us. There’s something almost whimsical about all those huge round bales resting randomly here and there.

30. Noelle says:

A bouquet worthy to grace any drawing room…and be drawn! There are such rich colours in the lilies, yet with the foliage and the white oak hygrandea there is a refined air to the whole arrangement.

31. Peter/Outlaw says:

The orange warmth of summer tempered by cooling white; a perfect arrangement for this time of year!

32. Beautiful. We’ve been planting various dark daylilies, but you can beat this wild one for verve!

33. Rebecca says:

I love lilies. They are so elegant, aren’t they? xo

34. AmyRose🌹 says:

Oh, Eliza!! How creative you are! I would not even stop to think of putting some of what you have in a vase. These are gorgeous!! Just breathtaking! They mirror the Love in your heart for these flowers, they really do. 💖

35. Beautiful, Eliza. Your arrangements make me smile. 🙂

36. bittster says:

That really looks great! I am completely not a fan of those ‘ditch lilies’ but they sure look good in this combination. Maybe I need to reconsider. Maybe a double ditch lily would be ok 😉

37. neihtn2012 says:

Beautiful arrangements, Eliza. Those colors and flower shapes go well together.

38. I love the overhead view, it has a bit of an abstract feel. 🙂