In A Vase On Monday – Cool Whites

IMG_6755For this week’s vase, I’ve chosen a cool, all-white palette. White garden phlox (P. paniculata) are in their glory right now, as are the Annabelle hydrangea (H. arborescens ‘Annabelle’), whose bracts are turning a papery, lime-green.

Plume poppy panicles (Macleaya cordata) are setting seed, making a nice vertical accent, but I love them for the fuzzy, white underside of their leaves that show best on windy days.

IMG_6758Garlic chive umbels (Allium tuberosum), with their clusters of green-centered, star-like blossoms, make long-lasting cut flowers. Larger stars of white flowering tobacco (Nicotiana alata), lacy spider flower (Cleome hassleriana), and tiny blooms of daisy fleabane (Erigeron annuus) complete the arrangement.

IMG_6754The clear, rectangular vase was a wedding gift (over thirty years ago!) and the beautiful linen tablecloth with intricate drawn-thread work is from my vintage  textile collection. IMG_6761The design of spiderwebs and sunflowers is truly a work of art that must have taken many hours of painstaking needlework.

The cute vintage Mama cat and kitten salt and pepper shakers I’ve had for many years and were probably from a yard sale.

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In the Garden,  who hosts a weekly meme to showcase what is blooming in our gardens by creating arrangements to enjoy inside our homes. Wander over to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging this week. Feel free to join in, sharing your own weekly vase with a link to Cathy’s blog.

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – Cool Whites

1. Trini Lind says:

Oh, this is so lovely!! i just adore the little cats! ❤ 🙂

2. Treah says:

Really nice arrangement for a hot day!

3. I love white gardens and have one so this vase really caught my eye. Such a perfect presentation and a stunning mix of flowers!

Thank you Donna! I was just over to your site admiring your arrangement – the lilies must be perfuming your home delightfully! I cannot keep up with those darn red lily beetles and have lost many orientals to their voracious appetites. Wretched pests!

4. I truly love this. It’s just beautiful.

Oh so refreshing this hot day! And wow, what a beautiful arrangement and I LOVE that you included that textile which is absolutely stunning. I just saw a beautiful work of paper cut out art that blew me away and reminds me of the textile! I just planted a plume poppy – I hope I am not sorry as I heard they can be invasive but really, that’s what my garden is – a collection of brutes so we’ll see. I love the leaves! It was given to me – how does a gardener say no? I have white phlox handed down to me from my mother from her mother (my grandmother) – it looks so fresh and smells so delicious! Love this artful bouquet Eliza!

Thank you, Kathy! Plume poppy can take over if it has moist, rich soil. Mine is off by itself next to the road, so it can (and does) go a bit wild. At 8-10′ tall, it is a force to be reckoned with! The pieces I found for the arrangement were young starts along the edges. My husband wanted me to make a mega-arrangement using the big ones – lol! Who knows, maybe next week? 😉

This really is cool and refreshing Eliza – an absolute delight with your range of airy whites which the vintage lace sets off beautifully. What an amazing piece of work that is! Thanks for sharing

7. Cool white is what we need on this warm day. Beautiful flowers, vase, and lace. 🙂

So elegant and beautiful as always:)

9. AmyRose🌹 says:

What a gorgeous flower arrangement, Eliza! And that design in the tablecloth I agree must have taken someone a long time to create. I remember my Grandmother effortlessly crocheting little tiny doll clothes and just watching her fingers fly was magical. I don’t know why your post reminded me of my Grandmother but believe me, this is a good thing! Thank you! Love, Amy ❤

Thank you, Amy. Our Grandmothers did that kind of thing, didn’t they? Our generation, not so much. 😉 I don’t think I could sit still long enough!

• AmyRose🌹 says:

I really enjoyed cross stitch and embroidery and yes I honestly could sit still that long as I became so involved with the process. I have enjoyed crocheting and knitting as well but of late just too busy to do it. It’s very relaxing to me and it excites me to see the pattern grow from nothing. ❤

Funny, I always picture you as go-go-go! ;-D But winter is long in our part of the world, so it makes sense that you’d have such hobbies when you can’t garden. 🙂

• AmyRose🌹 says:

I AM a go-go-go. Yet especially in the winter I like to hibernate. Crocheting gets my mind off of snow. BUT!!! I AM going to buy some snow shoes this year, I swear. And I will be going out in the woods and such with my camera. I used to cross country ski and I LOVED it. Why I ever stopped is totally beyond me. Darn!! I WILL begin LOVING winter again!!! 😉

Snowshoeing definitely helps me get through the winter. Last year we had 6 wks of powder – it was fabulous. Crust makes for lousy (and noisy) shoeing! 😉

• AmyRose🌹 says:

Thank you for the tip. I do remember that the soft fluffy snow is what you want. 🙂

10. Walking My Path: Mindful Wanderings in Nature says:

Such care you take in setting the scene for the beautiful bouquets each week. It is such a lovely thing you do, Eliza. Thank you.

Your flower arrangements, and the items you place with them, are always so stunning I don’t know what to say/write. Beyond beautiful, Eliza. 🙂

12. Frances 🌺 says:

Just beautiful Eliza ✨✨✨

13. Val Boyko says:

So charming Eliza! You are an inspiration. When I went out to cut the last of our pale pink english roses, I looked around for what else I could add to the cobalt blue vase. I choose charteuse hosta leaves and pale lavender phlox. Small white daisies would have been perfect.

14. Reminds me of summer weddings – lovely!

15. Maria F. says:

Nice arrangement Eliza, so delicate.

I feel cooler just looking at your vase – it’s lovely! The cats and tablecloth are nice touches too.

Thank you, Kris. With the heat everyone’s been having (esp. you), we need a little cool! Just like your exquisitely ‘cool blue’ vase this week. It’s gorgeous!

17. dorannrule says:

There is no way to choose a favorite in your collection, but this comes very very close. The whole effect is perfection.

18. mk says:

What a surprising choice — an all white bouquet. It’s fantastic, especially against that giant swatch of yellow in the background. The fabric is gorgeous. I’m glad you included the link. Who knew there was such a thing as drawn-thread work? (Well, I guess YOU did!)

Thank you! I had to search around for the terminology because I was drawing a blank (senior moment, you know!). I can’t imagine the time and patience that went into this piece. But I sure can appreciate it! 🙂

19. Christina says:

I love white flowers, you have arranged them beautifully. I admire the white drawn thread work embroidery, I used to do a lot of embroidery and I especially liked the lace-like effects that could be created by pulling out threads.

20. Hannah says:

The white flowers give this simplicity of color, but the many tiny and varied flowers mixed with the green hydrangeas and many shades of green, plus the tiny sprays of Plume Poppy, make a very complex and compelling arrangement. The spiderweb and sunflower designs in the linen tablecloth are really skillfully done.

21. Heather says:

I love your Monday series! If I didn’t have cats who would make quick work of such a display, I might make one for myself. I’m glad to be able to enjoy yours!

Thank you so much, Heather. Thankfully, my cats aren’t too bad, although I did have an incident last week with a vase being mysteriously toppled in the night. 😉

• Heather says:

Mine – specifically the female – eat everything green I’ve ever brought in the house. The girl ate so much of a 4-ft palm that the poor plant died. Add the death of plants to the cleanup of green vomit, and I just don’t try with plants indoors anymore.

Someone once told me that it is a deficiency (folic acid) that makes them eat plants. My oldest uses it as a hairball purgative. 😀 Not fun to step in – ick, but if it makes her feel better, and she manages to do it on the tile, not the rug, I accept the clean up. I grow wheat grass in winter to keep her off my plants, which doesn’t always work! 😉

• Heather says:

If she just did it sometimes, I would believe it was a deficiency. I can’t even get wheat grass to keep up with her. She ate two containers of it back to back, and killed more. I think she just thinks she’s a bunny 😉 Glad your kitty is a little less of a PITA 😀

22. Linked to you again through the new Fod Ambler blog. Just trying to find where all this virtual stuff disappears to sometimes. You do provide some inspirational arrangements. I struggle with my newish camera. What is yours?

23. Noelle Mace says:

The total arrangement is exquisite…would be a lovely wedding bouquet.

24. Spy Garden says:

Beautiful! I finally made some big flower arrangements with Spy Garden flowers for Babyzilla’s birthday yesterday, you’ll have to check it out 😉 It was posted yesterday. Maria, from Sweet Domesticity, commented on my post to check out “Slow Flowers” http://slowflowers.com/ so you might like to check that out! Also, I LOVE your lambs ear/spiderweb pic from a few posts back 😉

25. Deb Lathrop says:

I want to climb inside your flower arrangements to live….wish I were a little fairy!
    xoxo
    Deb

26. Debra says:

Eliza! You seem to have an endless supply of flowers! Thanks for sharing them with us. This is a truly lovely arrangement.

Thank you so much, Debra! At this time of year, it does feel like an endless supply, but in another month, sadly, it will be another story. But we won’t talk about that right now! 😉

27. wspines says:

Eliza. the fl and the delightful kitties ust perfectowers are beautiful

28. How perfectly beautiful , Eliza . I love your white pallette this week . Everything is so delicate and fragile. Love the fabric and wedding vase. Gorgeous little S&Park shakers , too ☺

29. Joanne says:

White flowers are catching my eye at the present time as my daughter-in-law to be has chosen Babies Breath to have at the wedding in less than two weeks. I especially love the tablecloth too. 🙂

Of course, she would want the pretty delicacy of babies breath to keep little Samuel’s memory near. How is she doing? She is young and hopefully resilient, having the strength of youth to soldier on. Sending my blessings.

• Joanne says:

She’s doing surprising well. She collected his ashes yesterday and seemed almost content, I thought perhaps because it was the final chapter of her ordeal. Thank you for asking, Eliza. x

30. precious, precious,,,:)