I was tagged by Sue Vincent at Daily Echo to participate in a free style writing challenge.
I chose to to set the timer for ten minutes (I am not as fast a typist as Sue, so I figured I’d need the longer time! As it is, I ran out of steam almost two minutes before the timer went off.)
My question was: If you could visit, for just one day, in any era and location, past, present or future, where would you go and why?
I would go back to pre-colonial America. I would love to see what our land looked like when only the Native Americans possessed it.
I read once that you could travel from the Atlantic coast to the Great Plains under tree cover, except for crossing rivers. I would love to see and experience that! See what birds, animals and plants were native and untouched by invasive species that we are plagued with today.
The first eyewitnesses told of great abundance of wildlife. I wonder what that would be like? The air would be so fresh, the rivers, clean and drinkable. Virgin timber, hundreds of years old. Great, massive trees reaching for the sky. What a wonder that must have been.
Or head out West and see the sequoias before 90% were cut down. See the Plains teeming with buffalo and antelope. The rivers and streams filled with fish. Pure Eden. Migrating birds filling the skies, flying over for DAYS at a time, in the clean, fresh air – oh, to see that would be so amazing. I dream of earth in its untouched splendor, undisturbed by the hand of man. Buildings, farmed land, roads, industrial blight, all destruction, gone. A fantasy, but it would be amazing to see!
These are the rules, and if anyone would like to participate in this fun, short exercise, please feel free to do so. I get to tag another five bloggers, who have no obligation to join in unless they so choose!
Your mission, ladies, should you choose to accept it…
1. Open an blank Document
2. Set a stop watch or your mobile phone timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever challenge you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds!
5. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
6. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals.
7. At the end of your post write down ‘No. of words = ____” to give an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
8. Do not forget to copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new topic for your nominees and copy & paste these rules with your nomination (at least five (5) bloggers).
When you have the document and the timer ready to go, scroll down to see your subject…
If you could meet anyone real or fictional, from the past or present, who would it be and why? What would you talk about?