Cell Division

IMG_6224

These bubbles trapped in ice looked to me like cells dividing. The one on the left even has a nucleus. Note the ‘bullet hole’ bubble in the upper left corner.

I’m never bored when walking out in nature as there are endlessly fascinating things to observe. Ice patterns are one of the benefits of living in a cold climate!

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Cell Division

I see you ARE finding beauty! I can appreciate this so much more from here – beautiful.

2. mk says:

It certainly does look like cell division. I enjoy these glimpses into frozen nature. Thank you Eliza.

3. What a keen observation. I’d forgotten this about ice and also that kind of strange sonic noise it can make at times.

4. cindy knoke says:

Ice patterns are ethereal and you are so right, they seem like frozen examples of cellular life. How brilliant of you to think of this!

Way cool! πŸ™‚

6. dorannrule says:

Wow! This is an inside look at a scientific mind! πŸ™‚

7. As a biologist, you really warmed my heart with this one Eliza.

8. Rebecca says:

Stunning photo, Eliza. I think you try to live your life a lot like the way I try to live mine — looking for those small moments of beauty in nature, and finding meaning in your life from those small things. Does that make sense?

9. Haha, I love the analogy. The picture is great! It reminds me of my childhood, when I would look for different patterns in the ice or snow. πŸ™‚

That is so cool! I’m a little envious because I don’t get to experience that kind of winter anymore (it’s warmer here than where I used to live, and we don’t get much ice and snow). I am so glad you’re out there capturing the beauty so I don’t have to miss it completely. πŸ™‚

Glad to provide the vicarious experience without the frozen fingers and toes! The grass is always greener, I envy your milder winter weather, but of course, not your hot, humid summers!

11. Heather says:

As a former biology teacher, I love this!
    Thought you might enjoy this?