Silent Sunday – American Robin

American robins feasting on holly berries

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

115 Responses to Silent Sunday – American Robin

1. doerfpub says:

A fine looking thrush.

2. Dale says:

That’s a beauty of a composition, Eliza!

This would make a lovely Christmas card and even a jigsaw puzzle, Eliza. It looks like a close cousin of our Olive Thrush – also a Turdus.

4. cindy knoke says:

That birdie and capture is God telling you He loves you! Perfection.

5. Trini Lind says:

Oh, wow!! So so beautiful!!

6. What a fine fellow! Look at that coordinated beak!

7. Beautiful birds, and it seems they are also very self esteemed. 😉 Thanks for sharing, and have a nice Sunday! xx Michael

8. Fine evidence of the overwintering flock that remains here. Just the right number for the limited food supply. Lovely portrait, Eliza!

9. Pingback: Silent Sunday – American Robin | Purplerays

10. Nancy says:

Lovely photo…
    Oh how I miss seeing Robins… none here in the valley. Desert Living is not for Robins. We do get to see them when we head to Pennsylvania in the summer.

11. Treah Pichette says:

What a pretty picture….. But robins & snow together still seem wrong to me!

12. Oh how beautiful! It seems like more and more robins are spending their winters up north here. I’ve read that frozen holly berries have nutrients that they need.

Thank you, Barbara! They’ve finished the winterberry and crabapple, and now are onto the hollies and sumac. Glad I have a variety to offer them. When I was a kid, we never saw robins in winter, but of course, that was ancient history. 😉

13. Eliza, that is one beautiful shot of a proud American Robin. A+

14. shoreacres says:

This is my favorite bird, and has been since it sang me to sleep and sang me awake during my midwestern childhood. I always envy those who get to have them in the neighborhood. I’ve got my fingers crossed that I’ll see some this spring. In the meantime, I’ll just enjoy your gorgeous portrait.

15. Fabulous photo and what a pose!!🙂

16. I just read an article that they will stay up North if there are enough berries. I always look forward to their visits down here in the winter. A few will stay all summer.

17. Dee Min says:

Stunning!!! Postcard worthy shot. No NatGeo worthy shot!!!!!

18. Alice says:

A banquet of berries for hungry birds…they’ve just about devoured ours, from many old, large, trees

19. utahan15 says:

red breast
    man he passed the test
    one in the bush
    kush kush

20. Fabulous capture, Eliza! With bonus berries AND snow, YAY!!! 🤗😊

21. neihtn2012 says:

Very nice photo! Last week I saw hundreds of robins out, jumping around among tree branches. I wondered what the occasion was since it was so cold and winter was not even half over.

Thank you, Hien! It seems January is when these small flocks descend upon yard, feasting on hollies, winterberry and crabapples. Not much left after a few days and then they move on.

22. What a great shot!❤️

23. Beautiful! This would make a pretty Christmas card.

24. Debbie says:

So thoughtful of you to have holly in the yard, Eliza — the birds simply love those berries during winter months! This one’s a beauty and would make an excellent picture for a calendar.

25. Tranature - quiet moments in nature says:

A beautiful image of a beautiful bird Eliza, they look so different from the European Robin! ❤️

Thank you, Xenia! Yes, I suspect they were named ‘robin’ because white settlers saw the red breast and thought it similar to their ER, even though the two genus are now known to be different. I think they resemble your fieldfares, which I think are quite handsome.

26. Su says:

A very cheerful portrait – Thank you!

27. ghsmith76 says:

Well hello Christopher

28. Maria says:

That is a very beautiful winter picture Eliza!

29. That’s a nifty portrait with all those red berries.

How pretty. Perfect against the berries in the background

31. Isha says:

Oh my goodness, Eliza! This HAS to be my favourite! The colours, oh my!!!!! Swoon!

32. Quite a magnificent pic. Fills me with admiration at what nature possesses.

33. Tina says:

That’s a pretty capture! Well done to you and I hope the robin ate plenty!

We haven’t seen as many these last couple of years than we used to, but when they do pop in for a visit they’re always a welcome sight. 🙂

35. A magnificent photo of this beautiful Robin, Eliza! I agree completely with Anne – this would make a beautiful holiday card!

Such beautiful birds! The background in your photo is perfect too.

37. arlingwoman says:

Oh, the art of those breast feathers! Such a beautiful close-up. What are they doing in Massachusetts in January? I’ve been wondering what they’re doing here in VA–they usually arrive in mid-Feb in time for some wintry mix, but…

Thanks, Lisa! There has been a flock that overwinters here for about a dozen years. We never used to see them in winter prior to that, March was when they’d come through. It is likely that our winters now have less snow cover, are warmer and there’s more berries (mostly invasive, unfortunately) that fuel them. I often wonder if these summer farther north and migrate only this far. I need to ask at Cornell, they might know what the story is.

38. Hello National Geographic!

39. What a beauty! Would make a lovely Christmas card.

40. naturebackin says:

Totally festive! Great that there are berries about to keep the birds fed in the winter months.

41. A delight to see especially in Winter!

42. Jane Lurie says:

What a beauty, Eliza! And with such a pretty surrounding with the berries. Great shot! 🙂

That is such a great shot Eliza…. would be perfect for next year’s Christmas cards perhaps? 😉

44. postcard perfect-or a magazine! Happy winter-Michele

45. Oh … so beautiful along with the berries! You need to do something special with it. 🙂

46. Bela Johnson says: