Silent Sunday

Papaver somniferum

Papaver somniferum w/honeybee

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Silent Sunday

1. IF ONLY WE COULD HAVE A SILENT SUNDAY ELIZA. NO STRIMMERS, LAWNMOWERS OR CAR WASH MACHINES, CHINA

china.alexandria@livingthedream.blog

Yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes I wish they could mandate a ‘Quiet Day’ at least once a week, like in the old days of observing the Sabbath. Today’s world takes no time to rest properly.

2. Karen Lang says:

Beautiful 🌸🌸🌸

3. Much excitement in my world today due to this poppy. Pleased to see a picture here, too!

4. rabirius says:

Beautiful flower.

Lovely. I have a similar one which is also popular with the bees. There are only just beginning to come out.

6. Alice says:

πŸ’œ Purple-Poppy-Pollen-Party-time. Beautiful photo, Eliza, you totally caught the delicateness of the Poppy.

7. A beautiful flower and a pollinator = a gardener’s dream. πŸ™‚

8. Beautiful Image Eliza!

9. Robert says:

Amazing capture!

10. sandyjwhite says:

Perfect with the bee!

Happy bee. I hope you’re having a good weekend too!

Yes, she did seem quite frenzied harvesting that pollen! It is high summer here, hot and a tad humid, but wonderful for sitting in the shade. We haven’t had rain for a while, so I had to water this morning. Probably sounds familiar, eh?

I need a Love button for this one. Beautiful, Eliza. ❀

13. The poppies have been great this year and where there is a poppy there is a bee (and usually some hoverflies). Lovely shot!

14. SOOOOO happy to see that honey bee, Eliza!!

Lovely Eliza ❀

Happy honeybee … gorgeous flower. πŸ™‚

17. jillslawit says:

Lovely. Hundreds of these near me this year, self seeded in hedgerows and the outsides of gardens.

18. Jen says:

Awesome photo!!

19. I do love poppies and have tried to grow them a few times … Oriental and California. The ones that seem to do well here though are the big orange/red ones. I’ll have to try those next. When is the best time to plant them?

Since they require a cold period before germinating, fall is best. The seedlings are very tiny and must be thinned to about a foot apart once they are a few inches tall. Mark where you sow them so you won’t forget them in spring, thinking they are weeds!