Silent Sunday

Canadian Hemlock

Image | This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Silent Sunday

1. debsgarden says:

Perfectly beautiful! I love how the light is shining through.

2. MK says:

Oh, snow for Christmas. How nice!

It does put one in the Christmasy mood. I bet the retailers love it. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I wonder if it will stay, the ground hasn’t really frozen solid yet. We always hope for a white Christmas, but it doesn’t always happen. Maybe this year?

3. Stunningly beautiful Eliza! ๐Ÿ™‚ โค

4. Catwoods says:

Exquisitely beautiful, Eliza!

5. tonytomeo says:

Okay; TWO things that I am not familiar with. Snow? and, is that hemlock?

• tonytomeo says:

oh duh, it says right there, Canadian hemlock.

• tonytomeo says:

You know, that is a tree I never saw in real life. The only ones I have ever seen are bonsai specimens, which really do not exemplify the species. I hear that they can be hedged like redwoods, but I would hate to do that to a tree with such potential. They certainly are pretty and grand in pictures.

It is the only evergreen that grows well in the shade. It is a common hedge here (I have one bordering my yard and the road, which is shady). The sad news is that Wooly Adelgid (an invasive sucking insect from Japan, similar to mealy bug) is devastating huge tracts of forest here, like the bark beetles in the Rockies. We use Neem on the hedge, but for large trees, there is little one can do to stop the infestation. Extreme cold will knock them down a bit, but we don’t get the cold we used to. It is an important timber tree… like ash, elm and chestnut before them, they are declining.

• tonytomeo says:

Oh yes, I read about that.

6. Trini Lind says:

Oh, so so beautiful! โ„๏ธ๐Ÿ’–โ„๏ธ๐Ÿ’–โ„๏ธ๐Ÿ’–โ„๏ธ

7. David says:

Very good detail and fantastic lighting make for a very nice winter photo.

8. Alice Pratt says:

Eliza: your photos are a great delight! Hemlocks hold the snow well, with their small needles. We got our first โ›„๏ธโ˜ƒ๏ธ snow…….and thankfully just got power back on after a 1 1/2 hour outage…..it was so dark!

9. Beautiful capture Eliza โ˜ƒ๐ŸŒฟ

10. jenanita01 says:

That is one stunning photgraph!

11. LOVE the composition, Eliza!! This is stunning!! Thank you! ๐Ÿค—

12. Val Boyko says:

Ah yes …. beautiful capture Eliza ๐Ÿ’›

13. OH My, Snow! Snow in the photograph and snow cascading in the webpage. How do you do this/ So mesmerizing ๐Ÿ™‚

14. The sun illuminates the scene beautifully!

15. Now I have a much better idea of what a hemlock is. Thank you for another lovely image!

16. Laurie Graves says:

What a shot!

17. Pingback: Silent Sunday – The Militant Negroโ„ข

No one decorates better than Mother Nature!

I have noticed lots of snowy photos in blog posts today! This is beautiful.

Thank you, Karina. A huge storm stretched the entire East Coast yesterday. Most unusual for the South that rarely sees snow. We had about 4″ here and my sister in Georgia got nearly 9″ – opposites! I here the UK got a fair amount, too. Snow for Christmas!

Snow? Is that snow I see before me? … Yaaaaaay! .. **runs around waving arms like Kermit** ๐Ÿ˜€

Gorgeous, Eliza. โค

22. neihtn2012 says:

Wonderfully creative shot, Eliza!

23. tippysmom2 says:

I love the snows when they lay on the evergreens….and everything else too, like this snow did. Your picture is amazing! We only got about an inch here in TN, but it was absolutely beautiful!

24. Maria says:

Nice! Here in FL weโ€™re getting temperature in the 50โ€™s although itโ€™s from a cold front.

Sparkly like you Eliza!

26. Wow, nIce composition, the backlighting and narrow depth of field makes the subject pop!

27. Dina says:

Oh, this is absolutely gorgeous, Eliza!