In A Vase On Monday – Summer Gold

IMG_3799The garden is at its zenith and while we have some weeks ahead of us, I’m aware that the bonanza won’t last forever, which only serves to heighten my appreciation.

IMG_3800I cleared my garden paths of the abundant tangle of flopping stems, mostly white flowering tobacco (Nicotiana alata) and yellow/orange calendula (C. officinalis).

A large clump of heartleaf aster (Symphyotrichum cordifolium) also needed trimming, so that became my lacy greens. IMG_3797

Nothing goes to waste if I can find a vase for it (which as you might have guessed, I have plenty)!

IMG_3801The special features this week are tall stems of Ligularia ‘The Rocket’ as well as golden zinnias (Z. elegans ‘County Fair Mix’) and dahlia (D. ‘Tiki Torch’).IMG_3798

Thanks to Cathy at Rambling In the Garden, who hosts a weekly meme to showcase what is blooming in our gardens. Wander over to see what gardeners all over the world are arranging this week.

IMG_3796

This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to In A Vase On Monday – Summer Gold

1. Ann @Ann Edwards Photography says:

no way you could let those beauties go to waste when there is a vase handy!

2. Cath says:

Wow, that’s a stunner! The nicotiana must smell beautiful. I love that Dahlia too. And the vase! The whole thing is wonderfully warm and glowing on this cold wet night. I have some spring flowers which have survived the hail and I will post them soon. 🙂

3. Fabulous and fun! Looks like a fireworks display.

4. jenanita01 says:

Reblogged this on Anita Dawes & Jaye Marie and commented:
    stunning…as usual!

A vase of sunshine – and there is that lovely Ligularia again:)

6. treah says:

Spectacular!

7. Alice Pratt says:

So sunny and happy and I love the frilly Dahlia.

8. So fresh and lovely, Eliza.

9. That will bring warmth and light into the house, Eliza. A beautiful sunny arrangement.

10. Jim Ruebush says:

Nice colors and forms. Your tobacco reminded me that my mother raised cotton in her garden just to see what would happen. We lived in west central Illinois. It did form a cotton boll.

11. POW! This one grabbed my attention right away Eliza. It looks like a color explosion.

12. This is gorgeous! I am trying to find the right word for it – luscious? I am also thinking decadent. Something about its size, it just looks big and beautiful.

13. Laurie Graves says:

Gold, indeed, and just as precious. What a lovely glow!

14. A treat for the eyes! I think we’re all hoping that this wonderful summer stretches into Fall.

15. Bun Karyudo says:

I didn’t know that tobacco had such a pretty flower. I checked Google and discovered there are a number of different kinds. Your display looks absolutely beautiful.

16. Beautiful, elegant, arrangement

17. Brian Skeys says:

A vase of summer ‘Rocket’, I grow a similar one, it is a spectacular plant.

18. That’s a gloriously warm combination, very fitting for high summer. Does the nicotiana keep its scent in a vase?

19. Chloris says:

Gorgeous, I love it.

Summer in a vase, Eliza! I can only wish my garden was half as exuberant during the summer months. I love the dahlias but its the zinnia that really drew my eye.

Thank you, Kris. It’s the first time I’ve grown either of them in many years. Bugs and slugs love ’em. Now I’ve discovered earwigs in the dahlia blossoms. It’s always something, right? 😉

21. dianaed2013 says:

Always like your flower arrangements Eliza

22. Gorgeous, I love that Ligularia, spikes are hard to come by where I live. Love the sunny colors.

23. joanna says:

A ‘proper’ bouquet. Fantastic. Would look great in a hotel entrance lobby. So welcoming.
    I would find a comfy sofa there and sit and stare at it for an hour or so. Coffee too of course.
    Do you serve coffee maybe 🙂

The shape of the vase was perfect for your display – you have a good eye as the result is so well balanced. Thanks for sharing

25. pbmgarden says:

Eliza, this vase is wonderful. The ligularia really shines and everything else goes great with it. Your dahlia (D. ‘Tiki Torch’) is beautiful too.

26. dorannrule says:

Magnificent array! I do love the golden colors that shout summer.

27. arlingwoman says:

Oh my. This is elegant and loose and a little bit wild. Wonderful.

28. Heather says:

Gorgeous golds! Soon the goldenrod will be giving way to golden leaves 8-|

Glorious! The Ligularia looks great in a vase. Those zinnias are so pretty too. 🙂

30. srickman2014 says:

As always, Eliza, your arrangement is simply gorgeous! I am so impressed by your commitment to your Vase on Monday postings! I always look forward to seeing what your artistic hands come up with:-)

31. This vase shouts look at me and you’ll see the beauty of summer. 🙂

32. Anca Tîrcă says:

In your vase white and gold look so well together!

33. MK says:

This one reminds me of a Gibson Girl with really really big hair. Beautiful (bien sûr)!
    And I confess taking a long look at yet another of your beautiful vases. I’m tempted to start calling you the Imelda Marcos of vases.

34. Reblogged this on A Dose of Inspiration and commented:
    I love how you make use of just about everything in your garden and appreciate deeply, the fleeting life all around. That is a wonderful life lesson that can apply to life in general. The vibrant yellow\orange color is beautiful! ❤😀 Thank you for sharing your wisdom & beauty!! 💚

35. Beautywhizz says: