Silent Sunday – Blue Jays

93 Responses to Silent Sunday – Blue Jays

What a beautiful pair! Their snowy background looks attractive too and shows off their colour well.

2. sandyjwhite says:

Blue Jays regularly visit our feeders. They love peanuts in the shell!
    Nice shot, Eliza!

Thank you, Sandy. We’ve started spreading feed on the ground around the yard to ease up the pressure around feeders. It has helped give the smaller birds a chance. I’ve yet to try peanuts… the squirrels would love them as well. Maybe I’ll pass, hehe. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. What beautiful birds. Lovely shot against the snow, Eliza!

4. Steve Tanham says:

What a lovely โ€˜crispโ€™ photo, Eliza.

5. The blue really stands out towards the snow. Great photo Eliza!

Aren’t they just beautiful

7. Treah Pichette says:

They give us the blue of late afternoon snow shadows. Did you know they mate for life?

8. โค Loving my 7 here daily who by next year will be more like 12-15 I better start charging rent ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Blue against white. Such handsome birds.

10. Very nice Eliza! They stand out against the snow!

11. neihtn2012 says:

They go well with that snow!

12. Such a great shot to get them both together. I guess Blue Jays just stay where they are for the winter. I have some dropping by the feeder here.

13. Beautiful! What a great shot.

14. Alice says:

Large, stunning and raucous flashes of blue, against the snow.

15. tippysmom2 says:

Great photo. They are so pretty. That one in front looks like he’s giving you the stink eye for taking his picture and interrupting his meal. LOL

16. Tranature - quiet moments in nature says:

A beautiful image Eliza and a real treat to see to these gorgeous birds ๐Ÿ’›

Thank you, Xenia. They tend to take over the feeders, dispersing the smaller birds, but their lovely colors and flurry of activity make up for their bully behavior. ๐Ÿ˜‰

17. Birds look so pretty, I like it

18. Wonderful shot, Eliza! They like to be boss, but their beautiful blues help make up with their showy presence! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. gaiainaction says:

Wonderful birds Eliza!

20. Debbie says:

I used to like Blue Jays … until I learned they can eat other birds, particularly nestlings. I still think they’re pretty, but a flock of them can be oh-so-noisy. Great capture!

So that’s what blue jays look like. ๐Ÿ˜€ … we have stellar jays out here. They love raiding the front gardens, that are covered in last years Autumn leaves, for snacks. ๐Ÿ˜€

Yes, ours feed similarly, flicking aside leaves in search of food. The Stellar’s that I’ve seen in CA seem more interested in people than blue jays are here, but that could be because here they don’t associate us with food, at least not that I’ve seen!

22. Nice. I like the header shot too.

23. Irene says:

Great job capturing the details and colors.

24. Jane Lurie says:

Wonderful image, Eliza. Great setting to show off their rich colors.

25. Karen Lang says:

So beautiful ๐Ÿ’š

Handsome birds (better looking than our scrub jays but I won’t tell them that).

27. They are lovely. So nice to see these colourful birds particularly in winter.

28. pbmgarden says:

Beautifully posed (how did you manage)! Love their color and intricate patterning.

Thank you, Susie. We scattered seed under the bushes there and they seem to love the cover. I took several shots with my long lens through the window, and a few came out well. This was my best.

How wonderful, Eliza! I remember them hopping about outside my Canadian grandad’s study window so you’ve taken me back (also to the snow angels we used to make outside the same window!)

Blue lovelies! ๐Ÿฆ

31. Val Boyko says:

I wonder what they are chatting about โ˜ƒ๏ธ Great shot Eliza!

32. Their beauty belies there bullying personalities.

33. When I was a teenager on Long Island my mother rescued an injured blue jay.

34. Great photo! Really good shot!

35. dylan hereford says:

The rough and tough blue jays. The Big guys on the block.

36. dylan hereford says:

The enforcers of the feeder, their only nemesis…mr squirrel

37. I’m so jealous, I only see these blue jays up in the mountains, never in the city. They’re scrappy birds.