Silent Sunday

Image | This entry was posted in Country Gardening, My Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Silent Sunday

1. It’s all in the details. I often think about how nature manage to look perfect in every phase. Great photo Eliza.

2. Treah Pichette says:

I don’t think I ever let my hosta go to seed (or never noticed a seed head). They are quite pretty. Did you ever think of growing some from seed??

They do self-sow and while most are rather dull green, some have been nice, esp. the big H. sieboldiana crosses. I like to bring the seed heads in for dried arrangements. They look like little pagodas and last for years. The inky, blue-black seeds offer a nice contrast to the pale outer parts.

• Treah Pichette says:

I had a seedling (I guess I must have had a seed pod!) last year come up with a leaf cut right down the middle with one side light green, one side dark green, like a yin/yang pattern. I’m growing it on to see if it stays that way.

That is pretty cool, a chimera!

3. Gosh, that’s pretty! You really caught the delicate beauty.

4. naturebackin says:

Lovely. I really like seedheads and they can add much interest and beauty to the garden- and of course lead to more plants. It seems a lot of gardeners cut them off because they think they are untidy?

Thank you, Carol. I know there are those few who don’t like their flowers, but the bees love them and I have a couple varieties that are either very fragrant, or one that I love that has deep purple flowers against large deep green leaves – a crime to cut away such beauty!

5. Alice says:

The Bumbles love Hosta Flowers..easy to picture them climbing in! Have you ever grown Hostas from seed?

6. Beautiful image Eliza!

Not only is this a lovely yet poignant image, it is symbolic of the cycle of life – some seeds still clinging on whilst waiting for their dispersal.

8. Debbie says:

This is a Hosta?? We used to have some, but they’re all gone now. I like them best when they put out delicate lavender-colored flowers, but you’ve captured a beauty I never realized they have. Gorgeous!

Thank you, Debbie. I leave some things in the garden as ‘winter interest’ and Hosta seed heads hold up well, even in snow. I try to leave hiding places for overwintering insects, too. With a 40% drop in both insect and bird populations, gardeners have an important role to play in helping them out. 🙂

I was utterly perplexed as to what this was, Eliza. I recognized it as a seed head but that’s as far as I got until I read the comments. As you might expect, we don’t see many Hostas in my area.

Love the dappled light in the background of this image Eliza

Resting their ‘wings’ before the last great flight. :0

12. The hosta against that background is lovely!

13. AmyRose🌹 says:

Darn if this image doesn’t almost have a Christmassy feel about it, Eliza. Cool!

14. Not knowing what the plant is, I read through the comments. Then I found more in Wikipedia: “Hosta… is a genus of plants commonly known as hostas, plantain lilies and occasionally by the Japanese name gibōshi. Hostas are widely cultivated as shade-tolerant foliage plants. The genus is currently placed in the family Asparagaceae, subfamily Agavoideae, and is native to northeast Asia (China, Japan, Korea, and the Russian Far East). Like many ‘lilioid monocots’, the genus was once classified in the Liliaceae. The genus was named by Austrian botanist Leopold Trattinnick in 1812, in honor of the Austrian botanist Nicholas Thomas Host.”

15. That background really makes this shine, Eliza. I always appreciate what remains of summer blooms as winter approaches.

16. Jet Eliot says:

Dried-up seed pods, cobwebs, and the sunshine — what a fantastic, even dazzling, display this is.

17. Fun background with the bokeh specular highlights.

18. Jane Lurie says:

Love, love, love. Great use of aperture to make your background sparkle and your subject stand out.

19. Laura Denise says:

Really like this one (too)!

20. Joanne says:

An example of the beauty in every stage of growth. 🙂