Silent Sunday

sickle moon

Cheshire Cat smiles at Venus

This entry was posted in Field Notes, My Photos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Silent Sunday

This is a marvellous composition, Eliza.

2. Isha Garg says:

Oh my! Caption ❀️❀️❀️

Oohhhh, I saw that moon too – as did my friend in the UK – wasn’t it amazing

4. Alice says:

Fun with the planets.

πŸ™‚ Have you noticed the lack of pollution lately makes the stars so much crisper/clearer?

• Alice says:

I haven’t. I go to sleep early, but next time I’m up at night, I’ll look. There is most often some ‘silver linings’ to find…. you know how to have lots of fun…with plants & planets. My daughter & spouse started lettuces & basil & chickpeas & something else (I can’t remember what), all growing well, in the house. They live a few miles from me, so too early to plant outside.

5. Treah Pichette says:

Great shot! A smile to remind you that Mother Nature’s in charge.

6. A slice of moon never fails to enchant.

7. myplaidheart says:

I have a card ready for my ‘encouragement’ series that looks a lot like this. Pretty!

8. I’ve never heard it called that!

I’ve called the sickle moon phase that for years, wondering if the moon behind trees inspired Lewis Carroll to write about Cheshire Cat: “`All right,’ said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.”

9. Jim R says:

We got a beautiful view of the Moon next to Venus last evening. Here is an example. Not my photo. https://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=160386

Lovely. (And it does look like the Cheshire cat’s smile!) Well done. πŸ™‚

11. How wonderful, Eliza! Now I am smiling! πŸ™‚

12. derrycats says:

Such a peaceful shot. Lovely.

13. jillslawit says:

I saw something similar from my bedroom window in the UK a couple of evenings ago, a crescent moon grinning up at Venus. We all occupy different parts of the planet yet can still share the same wonders of nature above us and around us. Hope you are staying safe where you are.

14. Very lovely Eliza. Very peaceful.

15. Nice capture and metaphor! I like the choice of B&W for this.

Oh, I really love this one Eliza! Beautiful! ❀

17. Get out! I saw almost the exact same thing as I looked out my bedroom window. I was in awe of the moon and the star how they both sat in our sky. Gorgeous image, Eliza!

18. Love the caption and thanks again for making me smile!πŸ™‚

19. Kris Peterson says:

I love it! The caption is perfect.

The Cheshire Cat has excellent taste. πŸ™‚

21. Lovely, Eliza. The cat’s grin is mischievous. Did you do a star light, star bright, first star I see tonight? πŸ™‚

Thanks for the smile! πŸ˜‰

23. The perfect picture for “silence”.

24. naturebackin says:

Atmospheric photo – I had not heard that expression before likening the sickle moon to the smile of Cheshire Cat πŸ™‚

25. Maria says: